Respected Contributor

Re: Multiple Piercings and Tattoos

@chickenbutt wrote:

Wow, this whole 'those kind of people' type thing is rather disturbing.  Smiley Sad

I think I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt and presume they are very old-fashioned in their ideas.  Those kinds of remarks along with the "dirty and nasty" remarks are relics of another time and indicative of people who have very rigid ideas of how people should look. 

I haven't taken the plunge to get a tattoo yet, but some of my dearest friends have them and they are beautiful.  They are professional , responsible people who just happen to like tattoos.  

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

We ALL judge people and things in our lives every day, it is human nature. None of us have time to get to know details about everyone and everything that crosses our path.  The only problem is when we treat people in a negative way due to our likes or dislikes.  I would not be nasty or disrespectful to anyone, no matter what my opinion may be on what I see.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

I don't like how it looks, but someone with that kind of mentality doesn't care what I think.  I prefer they are not in my personal space and avoid them when possible.  Just don't like looking at them. 

Too bad.

Some of the nicest, kindest, most generous and caring people have tattoos.

People with tatts are in every walk of life. 

Doctos, lawyers, police, firefighters, paramedics.

And maybe most importantly, our brave men and women in uniform.

Would you try to get away from "those people"?

You never know, one of "those people" just might save your life, or the life of a loved one some day.

Would you try to "avoid" them then?

Or would you still scoff that one of "those people" was in your "personal space"?

You know the funny part? I can guarentee that they interact with people every single day that have tattoos and they don't even know it. Many of us got tattoos starting back when you had to be able to cover them and keep your job. So guess what, you're being all nice to us based on this false idea of who we really are because you've never happened to see our tattoos. I have a few that are covered all the time, except in a bathing suit and I have others that may or may not show depending on what I'm wearing. 

Calling people with tattoos or piercings dirty and nasty says nothing at all about them in the first place. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Tatts and piercings are another one of those things, that within certain circles, or among certain age groups, are seen as anything from low class, to attention seeking behavior, to 'for the young only', or any number of other negative views. Other groups in society today consider them normal or desirable.

It really is what it is. People make judgements about each other based on everything from what they wear, to the size of their body, the color of their skin, what they do for a living etc. All people just need to realize that they are judged (right or wrong), categorized, and sized up by others based on many, many things, having (or not having) tattoos and piercings included.

So, I guess if that means anything to an individual, they will follow social norms with these types of things, for the groups they wish to be associated with (different groups have different social norms). If they don't care about fitting in with particular groups or obtaining their approval, they will do (or not do) things based on their true individuality.

It really is a personal choice, much like the style of clothing one chooses. I have no problem with people who do it, but I don't find it attractive, much like some people would prefer a red head over a blonde, I'd prefer to see people in their real skin.

And I do think that people who do either one excessively, are absolutely seeking attention. I feel that way about anyone who goes extremely overboard with anything related to their body that others see, like makeup, clothing, hairstyle etc that are way beyond the society's norm. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The practice of tattooing and body art dates back to ancient tribes such as the Gauls, Celts, and Picts among others. It was also found in the tribes of the West Indies during the Spanish conquests. It's fascinating that this adornment has held all these years and that ancient as well as modern civilizations have chosen this art for self expression. As I said before, it's nobody's business really but the person with the tatts. Nobody is forcing anyone else to get them, so keep the nasty personal judgements with no basis to yourselves.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Tatts and piercings are another one of those things, that within certain circles, or among certain age groups, are seen as anything from low class, to attention seeking behavior, to 'for the young only', or any number of other negative views. Other groups in society today consider them normal or desirable.

It really is what it is. People make judgements about each other based on everything from what they wear, to the size of their body, the color of their skin, what they do for a living etc. All people just need to realize that they are judged (right or wrong), categorized, and sized up by others based on many, many things, having (or not having) tattoos and piercings included.

So, I guess if that means anything to an individual, they will follow social norms with these types of things, for the groups they wish to be associated with (different groups have different social norms). If they don't care about fitting in with particular groups or obtaining their approval, they will do (or not do) things based on their true individuality.

It really is a personal choice, much like the style of clothing one chooses. I have no problem with people who do it, but I don't find it attractive, much like some people would prefer a red head over a blonde, I'd prefer to see people in their real skin.

And I do think that people who do either one excessively, are absolutely seeking attention. I feel that way about anyone who goes extremely overboard with anything related to their body that others see, like makeup, clothing, hairstyle etc that are way beyond the society's norm. 

Excellent and sensible post!!

Occasional Contributor

if you go to a repoutable shop, sanitation is key, disposible tubes,needles ect you will be the only one they are used on then  disposed of, exactly how needles are disposed of at hospitals or docs office. No risk of hep that way. Ive been a tatoo artist an have many, im 53, Dont consider myself any different than other women my age, most of the time I dont even think of then,an yes they are on areas anyone can see if I wear shorts or short sleeves, They are simply apart of me. As far as pirecing, Im not a fan of it for myself, but to each his own. Always remeber cheep tatoos arent good , an good tattoos arent cheep

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My father was in a nursing home and he was so very difficult to deal with.  Most workers avoided him and gave him very little help.  The only one who took it upon herself to care for him and help him was a young girl all tatted up her arms and neck with multiple piecings and multiple colored hair.  She would talk and joke with him and would even stop by to see him on her days off.  Avoid those tatted  pierced if you choose  it's you who are missing out on knowing some great people.  You don't have to like the look but judging anyone based on how they look speaks to a person's character and those are the ones with dirty and nasty hearts!!!  I'm 63 and nothing old school about me as I was raised to accept other's differences and to reserve judgment for each person's actions and not their looks!!!

Honored Contributor

on this topic just had to laugh my son has a slot machine on his arm -- it's so darn funny because on the winning line is --

Bar-Cherry-double bar = loser! Because he used to go to AC and only thing he did was lose (til he got smart and stayed away!) but he has a beautiful tattoo of a NJ tradition "pork roll, egg, cheese on Kaiser roll" with mom above it. Why? Because it's our fav sandwich and of course has a cross inscribed with his brothers name who is a cancer survivor.

So really most of their tattoos have meaning. And honestly good thing he's in a relationship with a tattoo artist as I know for a fact the larger the tattoo the more $$$$.

She owns a shop and its spotless 2 of my good friends in their 60s just got a few. They've been trying to convince me -- no way, I'm a chicken and hate needles even to give blood🙀!

Honored Contributor

Lots of young people must have lots of money to spend now-a-days.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).