Respected Contributor

Well there's good and bad tattoos.   I'm sure many regret the homemade or cheaply done when they get older, but there's probably more important things to worry about by then.  

I find some of them fascinating, and am horrified by others.  But I'm not the one wearing them.   Many professional people only tattoo where they can be hidden at work.  

While I'm sure there are a lot of "Look at me's"  it's a generalization that's not true.   If you look at it that way, make up, dressing up, fancy hairstyles, would be the same thing.   Different strokes.  I would never have one myself.

I've seen some pretty fancy body scarring as well, no thanks-that really looks painful.

One of the most liked checkers at the grocery store has a lot of piercings and tattoos.  Her head is shaved into a short Mohawk and pink or green.   Her tattoos are mostly fluffy and pastel looking.  Most of us who go to her aisle are not young.   She's in her early 20's. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Multiple Piercings and Tattoos

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

I am not a not professional but my opinion is, some of the nicest people are all tatted up and some mean people have no tattoos or piercings. So the character of the person is not affected by their choices. For myself I would not get either but do like some tattoos on some people.

Exactly.

True story - my late husband was in a wheelchair during the last Christmas season of his life.  We wanted to do some Christmas shopping and headed out to the local mall.  Well, the worst we were treated, with glares and heavy sighs and even at one point elbowed because we got in some folks way came from well-dressed folks.  You know who jumped in without hesitation to help us with doors and even interceded for us in the elbowing incident?  A number of goth young folks.  They were heavily tatted, pierced, black lipstick and nails, leather and dog collars and BIG SMILES and helping hands.

Don't know where folks live.  Here, the younger ones are the mean ones.  They dislike anyone over say 30 and it doesn't matter if they are tatooed or not.  I've had rudeness from all age groups and ethnicities, relijuns and followings. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I love your story, Buck!  Thanks so much for sharing.  

There are some piercings that I find unappealing so guess what?  I don't get them on MY body.   But it's not for me to say/judge what others should be able to do on THEIR bodies so I guess it's about 'live and let live' for me.  Smiley Happy

As for tattoos, I don't have any.  But I think the main reason for that is that it sounds like it really hurts!   I be chicken!  bwakkkkk!   Otherwise, I might have considered something when I was younger.  

Respected Contributor

The baby boomers, myself included in that generation, broke so many boundaries regarding the clothes we wore, our hair, how we presented ourselves to the world, we did not leave much for future generations to stand out, to define themselves.   Pretty much the only thing remaining was self mutilation.

Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

....some of the nicest people are all tatted up and some mean people have no tattoos or piercings. 

Seems like a broad brushstroke.

Never like the phrase (or variation) of

"all ___(fill in the blank)___ are ___(fill in the blank)___"

Realize the word 'some' was used...dually noted.

Reality-based law enforcement shows like 'Gangland' or 'First 48' will shed a different light on tattoos.  They are meant to say a lot & have life/death meaning.  

Of course the heart on the wrist or college mascot on the ankle wouldn't fall within this ilk...not saying that all....but with the bigger picture, it's amazing how criminals have made tattooing into an art which timelines their life.   Even the FBI has a tattoo database to track gangmembers.  Find all that so interesting. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What stops me from getting a tattoo is the PERMANENCE of it. I hesitate to do something to my body that l might regret later on. And removing tattoos is time-consuming, expensive, and not always completely successful.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

I am not a not professional but my opinion is, some of the nicest people are all tatted up and some mean people have no tattoos or piercings. So the character of the person is not affected by their choices. For myself I would not get either but do like some tattoos on some people.

Exactly.

True story - my late husband was in a wheelchair during the last Christmas season of his life.  We wanted to do some Christmas shopping and headed out to the local mall.  Well, the worst we were treated, with glares and heavy sighs and even at one point elbowed because we got in some folks way came from well-dressed folks.  You know who jumped in without hesitation to help us with doors and even interceded for us in the elbowing incident?  A number of goth young folks.  They were heavily tatted, pierced, black lipstick and nails, leather and dog collars and BIG SMILES and helping hands.

Thanks, goths are another group that get unfairly discriminated against. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Never judge a book by its cover.  That saying still holds true.  Some of the nicest people I know have tons of tats.

I am so happy that the Q has Kat Von D here, as she is such a beautiful person, inside and out and I love her tats!!

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

I read on Dan Wheeler's blog and his wife Beth and their two daughters had Faith, Hope, and Love tattooed on their wrists.  I think that's sweet - it's a lifelong bond, and they'll always think of their mom when they look at their wrist.

Honored Contributor

The ear piercings are a form of fashion, which I don't understand, but that's how the girls who do it feel about it.  I think tatoos are ugly, on a man or woman.