Esteemed Contributor

I have a multi-focal lens implant. The temperature here is below freezing, usually between 20-25. Since the cold weather, my eyes feel real scratchy. I've used Systlane eye drops, which helps a little.

Is there anybody with lens implants that cold weather has affected.

Respected Contributor

Re: Multi-focal lens implant

I don't have any implants but I live in cold NJ and my eyes are scratchy/dry every winter.  We have gas forced hot air heat so it's very dry indoors.  I use lubricating eye drops and ointment at night if needed.  My eye doc told me to take flaxseed oil capsules.

@febe1  I'd check with the eyedoctor to see what is recommended. 

Respected Contributor

Be sure to run a humidifier in the room you are in. Especially at night. And warm, damp compresses might help.

Also, I find the single tube eye lubricants (no preservatives) are better...preservatives irritate my eyes.

I cannot speak to your implants though...don't have any just general eye dryness. A pharmacist might have some suggestions as well as your eye dr.

Respected Contributor

I have a lens implant in one eye and it's been near zero here for nearly two weeks. The cold and dry air make both of my eyes itchy and watery, so I really don't believe it has anything to do with the lens. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I don't have any implants but I live in cold NJ and my eyes are scratchy/dry every winter.  We have gas forced hot air heat so it's very dry indoors.  I use lubricating eye drops and ointment at night if needed.  My eye doc told me to take flaxseed oil capsules.

@febe1  I'd check with the eyedoctor to see what is recommended. 

Thanks, Pinky. I've got an MD appt. for 31 Jan. However, the scratchiness has almost vanished. I used Restylane a couple of times. The weather is in the 60's today, so I still think it's from the implant lens and coldness. I never could wear Contacts, b/c I had the same sort of scratchiness from them. Thanks a lot.