Respected Contributor

Re: Multi car crash/pile up on Pennsylvania Turnpike

So very sad!  I was quite nervous when I first heard the news because DH was on the turnpike that day, but we are in Philly and this was near Pgh.

My prayers go out to all the victims and their families.

Valued Contributor

This is so sad and I pray for the families. I've driven this stretch of the Penn Turnpike quite often when I lived in PIttsburgh and I can tell you I never felt comfortable driving it in the dark.   The road is narrow but it has sharp twist and turns and the weather can turn in an instant. It can get really foggy and heaven forbit if you get caught in a snow squall it can be quite terrible. 

Respected Contributor

I saw on the Weather channel that snow squals are being forecast for today in many areas.  When those hit it's unexpected and cause white out conditions.  It's like suddenly there's a sheet across your windshield and visibility is nil.  Scary.  

Super Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@FS74 wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@songbird ..... I am not sure but I don't think the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owns the turnpike . @Allegheny  can answer better. I know the State of Ohio does not own the Ohio Turnpike anymore.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commision (PTC) operates the turnpike but not sure if they own it or not. I live in the Pgh area and I agree with Allegheny, that stretch of turnpike is nasty. Too narrow for the hills and curves and since it is in a mountian area, the weather can turn in an instant. It is an accident waiting to happen, and too often it does.

I agree. I avoid the turnpike and the tolls are ridiculous.

Last time I was on the turnpike it was around 85 cents from Allegheny Valley to Monroeville. What is it now, over 2 dollars? I take the back roads now.

Respected Contributor

@FS74 wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

@FS74 wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@songbird ..... I am not sure but I don't think the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owns the turnpike . @Allegheny  can answer better. I know the State of Ohio does not own the Ohio Turnpike anymore.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commision (PTC) operates the turnpike but not sure if they own it or not. I live in the Pgh area and I agree with Allegheny, that stretch of turnpike is nasty. Too narrow for the hills and curves and since it is in a mountian area, the weather can turn in an instant. It is an accident waiting to happen, and too often it does.

I agree. I avoid the turnpike and the tolls are ridiculous.

Last time I was on the turnpike it was around 85 cents from Allegheny Valley to Monroeville. What is it now, over 2 dollars? I take the back roads now.

I'm not sure. I do know my husband paid $28 one way from Cranberry to Carlisle for a car show a couple years ago.