Trusted Contributor

Re: Multi car crash/pile up on Pennsylvania Turnpike

Westmoreland paper said the roads were icy at the time of the wreck. One of people killed was a paramedic. The paper said he was getting out of the ambulance and was struck by a tracker trailer.

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Allegheny  .... Are you on the forum? If you are was weather a factor?

@Sheila P-Burg Hi.  Just logged in again.  According to report the roads were treated and wet, but not especially icy.   But you never know, if there was an icy patch which may have caused the tour bus to leave the road.  I've traveled many of those downhill curves and they are scary even in daylight on dry pavement.  Below is from WTAE.

"The bus was traveling on a downhill curve, struck an embankment and flipped onto its side, authorities said. The crash also involved three tractor-trailers — two UPS trucks and a FedEx truck — loaded with parcels and a passenger vehicle, state police said. It occurred about 3:40 a.m. Sunday near mile marker 86 on the westbound side of the highway, officials said. Westmoreland County Coroner Ken Bacha confirmed the fatalities."

"The roads were wet from snow but not especially icy, said another truck driver.. Turnpike Commission spokeswoman Renee Colborn said at a press briefing at 10:45 a.m. that the roads had been treated and also said they were not icy."

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

Westmoreland paper said the roads were icy at the time of the wreck. One of people killed was a paramedic. The paper said he was getting out of the ambulance and was struck by a tracker trailer.

@Sheila P-Burg  That is a different accident.

SMITHTON, Pa.The crash happened around 6 a.m. Sunday on the Yough Bridge. According to a release from officials, EMS personnel were on the scene tending to a victim when their ambulance was struck by another vehicle.

"It’s with great sorrow and pain that we announce the tragic loss of Paramedic Supervisor M. Smeltzer, he was killed this morning while attending to an injured person on interstate 70 .

Trusted Contributor

@MorningLover  ..... Thanks. Didn't realize that. I got a "bipper" that only mentioned Westmoreland Turnpike crash. Lived in Pennsylvania for 13 years in different areas so I set up notifications from those newspapers. Sounds like a bad day on the turnpike.

Respected Contributor

@songbird 

I saw it and was immediately saddened for all the souls involved and their families.

How terrible, how sad and awful for all involved. My prayers are with them.

Having driven that PATHETIC EXCUSE for a turn-pike for several years from Philly to KoP - it's amazing to me this sort of horrific thing does not happen more often.

I grew up in NJ - the taxes in the state are outta control BUT they have an AMAZING turn-pike.

Multiple wide lanes, separate lanes for tractor trailers, always monitored by State Police and well maintained. Especially diring snow storms....I cannot say any of the same for PA.

It's a pleasure to drive the NJTP all the way down to the boonies in Mullica Township.

Which bytw is a gorgeous place.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The New Jersey turnpike kind of scares me.  Years ago, when I first started working, I had a co worker by the name of Jane Doe.  She was very nice.  She recently came back to work after having a baby.  On Friday as we were leaving, I asked Janie if she was comeng in on Saturday (we had to do a project)  She said no.  Going to visit relatives in New York.  On Monday, rumors were abuzzed about someone at work being killed on the NJ turnpike. It was Janie, her baby, & her mother.  Only her father and 4 year old son did not go.  I remember seeing her father come in about a week later.  He was cleaning out her desk.   We went to her funeral. Still too painful. I still think about her a lot.  It has been the only tragedy near me.  Over the years there were other deaths.  But not so close to home. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird ..... I am not sure but I don't think the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owns the turnpike . @Allegheny  can answer better. I know the State of Ohio does not own the Ohio Turnpike anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@songbird ..... I am not sure but I don't think the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania owns the turnpike . @Allegheny  can answer better. I know the State of Ohio does not own the Ohio Turnpike anymore.

It still bothers me.  Since the accident, I won't drive it anymore.  I'm sure it's a good safe highway.  But I can't bring myself to drive.  When I go to New York, my sister or someone else drives.  And I do close my eyes or look down. I know the exact spot.   I apologize for using Janie's last  name.  I forgot and it was edited.  

Super Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commision (PTC) operates the turnpike but not sure if they own it or not. I live in the Pgh area and I agree with Allegheny, that stretch of turnpike is nasty. Too narrow for the hills and curves and since it is in a mountian area, the weather can turn in an instant. It is an accident waiting to happen, and too often it does.

Respected Contributor

@FS74 wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commision (PTC) operates the turnpike but not sure if they own it or not. I live in the Pgh area and I agree with Allegheny, that stretch of turnpike is nasty. Too narrow for the hills and curves and since it is in a mountian area, the weather can turn in an instant. It is an accident waiting to happen, and too often it does.

I agree. I avoid the turnpike and the tolls are ridiculous.