Esteemed Contributor

@febe1- perhaps you should read about Ali and his reaction to 9/11.  He was outspoken about the killing of innocent people in the name of Islam then and now.  He converted in the 60s in reaction to racism and bigotry.  In the true form of Islam, there was no racism and it was a religion of peace.  He has often stated that Islam is misunderstood and that those who kill innocents in the name of the Muslim religion are fanatics and racists.  

Ali was bright, articulate and much more than a boxer and he never beat anyone senseless; he fought clean and quick.  He took more than he gave; that's quite obvious.  I saw a few Ali matches with my Dad, also a boxer, and he was beautiful to watch.  Ask those who fought him....I never met him close up but my Dad did; he would spontaneously go to boys/girls clubs and coach, visit and just visit with kids who didn't have too much.  He was a role model to many, adults and kids.   He is an American icon and well known throughout the world, not as a boxer, but a man of peace. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle- yes he did many times.  He hated that people killed in the name of a religion that was peaceful and gave him peace.  Ali was associated and helped many faith based organizations and most were not Muslim organizations.  

Respected Contributor

It matters not what he said, it is what he did. I believe he changed his religion when this country was easing away from quotos and to a straight draft. And I question the fact that during the 60s the religion he joined was peaceful. Using religion as a reason not to serve your country OR commit atrocities is just wrong. By the way, did he not become a staunch supporter of Malcolm X?  Atrocities in many religions go way back - bottom line he joined to keep from wearing a US military uniform. But it's OK to beat someone up for sport in a ring.. I will say again, he was a great boxer but would never use that term to describe him as a human being.

Super Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

It matters not what he said, it is what he did. I believe he changed his religion when this country was easing away from quotos and to a straight draft. And I question the fact that during the 60s the religion he joined was peaceful. Using religion as a reason not to serve your country OR commit atrocities is just wrong. By the way, did he not become a staunch supporter of Malcolm X?  Atrocities in many religions go way back - bottom line he joined to keep from wearing a US military uniform. But it's OK to beat someone up for sport in a ring.. I will say again, he was a great boxer but would never use that term to describe him as a human being.

Best post of the day, thank you.

Respected Contributor

I find it interesting that some people assert (without anything but conjecture) that Ali converted to escape draft.

Think about it, he faced prison, losing his entire career and public ridicule because of his status as a conscientious objector.  He had no real idea that SCOTUS would find in his favor, so he was willing to face the consequences of his actions in a very real way. 

There were easier, less public ways, to avoid being inducted.  

Also, the idea that voluntary boxing as violent is somehow comparable to going into a country and slaughtering innocents is impossible to reach with any credibility. 

Respected Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

This wrong on so many levels. Ali came out with the Nation of Islam the day after he won the fight against Liston in 1964.  He refused military induction in 1967 as a conscientious objector. 

Equating the sport of boxing (which I do not like) with using a weapon to kill in a war? He was willing to give up everything that he had gained, including his freedom, to stand on his principles. 

The Supreme Court agreed with him. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered controversial

Respected Contributor

Re: Muhammad Ali is Dead

[ Edited ]

@Winifred wrote:

@Winifred, it depends on how one might view "staunch supporter" as to Malcom X.  Yes, Ali did know Malcom X and was friends with him, as he was with many people.  However, when Malcom X moved on from the Nation of Islam, Ali disavowed Malcom X and no longer continued that friendship. So I wouldn't consider that a staunch supporter, although someone else may. 

Ali converted to Islam and changed his name years before he was drafted.  Yes, he did stand his ground about his religious beliefs and refused to serve in Vietnam.  He didn't have to though...he could have done like many others and gone to Candada, enrolled in a university to get a school deferment, or get married to avoid being drafted.  Or he could have gone the route of a medical deferment.  Any of those would have worked for him, especially since he had to give up boxing anyway.  But that is not what he chose to do.  He stood his grounds on his beliefs.  That is why my husband who is a Vietnam Vet respects what he did.  

And Ali never changed his religion after, either.   I think there are many that are very familiar with what Ali did after boxing. We are fortunate to have the Ali Center that is dedicated to serve the prinicples he held valued in his life:  confidence, conviction, dedication, spritualilty, respect, and giving. So many are well aware of many of his activities other than boxing.

He once prevented a man from making a suicide jump, served as an envoy to intercede and obtain the release of US hostages, etc.  In fact right before Desert Storm,  Ali was sent by the US to Iraq to try and secure the release of hostages.  He was successful and obtained the release of 15 hostages.  Ali also officially corresponded with Iran to help the journalist that was being held in jail there. 

So yes...he is a controversial figure, but no doubt he was about far more than boxing.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

The Nation of Islam was violent and racist when Muhammed Ali joined. Snubbing the draft and calling himself a "minister" of the church. Ali was anti-American and would not fight in any American war that wasn't a Muslim war.  It's ridiculous to conclude he was a pacifist and a boxer, while there is nothing more violent than boxing.

Respected Contributor

Here is another good article about Ali and The First Amendment: 

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/muhammad-ali-and-the-first-amendment