Esteemed Contributor

Re: Moving threads to another forum

I'd prefer an "all or nothing" approach.  Either move all the off-topic threads or leave them alone.  This nit-picking, moving only one or a few threads at a time (when there are so many off-topic threads) makes it look like certain posters or topics are targets.  IMO consistency is best.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I'd prefer an "all or nothing" approach.  Either move all the off-topic threads or leave them alone.  This nit-picking, moving only one or a few threads at a time (when there are so many off-topic threads) makes it look like certain posters or topics are targets.  IMO consistency is best.

@wildcat fan  However, the inconsistency is inherent in this board and affects everything, including which posts/threads are deleted.   Because there are many mods and each "ruling" is subjective.  So what you are asking about the topics being moved to the appropriate forum holds true for the entire board and it's not going to happen.

For those that dislike having threads moved to the appropriate forums, that is how this board is set up.  If you don't like it, there are many other chat boards on the internet.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I appreciate the relocation of misplaced threads. There was a time when one had to scroll through recipes, games...to find a thread of interest. I care nothing at all about another poster's favorite anything and I can't think they care about mine.

Truer words were never written.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

There may be another factor in the moves or failure to move threads to the "appropriate" forum. I do know some of the forums have less activity than, say, CC or Among Friends. This is speculation, but the mods may want to keep CC clear of threads that are easily categorized in a less-used forum, like Home, to pare the monitoring demands of CC as much as possible.

I wouldn't blame that for that, and I don't blame them if such moves are hit or miss. I wouldn't have their jobs for the world.

Honored Contributor

I would for a few minutes !

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@This is exactly what I was trying to say in my post @wildcat fan, but you said it more succinctly. :-)  I guarantee you, however, if all posts are moved to their proper forum, there won't be much left in CC.

Honored Contributor

I actually don't like when someone clearly knows they are posting in the wrong forum but do so anyway because the forum they are posting on "gets more eyes" (several posters do this frequently) What is the purpose of having subforums if people just ignore them and post whatever they want, where they want?

Also, some screamed for subforums (Nick Chavez forum is  a good example) but because that forum is hardly visited, they start posting in the general beauty instead. If you are going to work hard in getting a subforum to chat with other like-minded people, then post in that forum. Actually I think if a subforum rarely gets activity, it should be removed. The very few people that do post on that forum would be fine just posting back in the regular beauty forum again I am sure. Especially if all they do is try to promote that brand anyway.  

Like another poster mentioned, I don't like scrolling through a bunch of things I'm not interested and has nothing to do with, say, beauty, just to actually find a beauty post. 

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I actually don't like when someone clearly knows they are posting in the wrong forum but do so anyway because the forum they are posting on "gets more eyes" (several posters do this frequently) What is the purpose of having subforums if people just ignore them and post whatever they want, where they want?

Also, some screamed for subforums (Nick Chavez forum is  a good example) but because that forum is hardly visited, they start posting in the general beauty instead. If you are going to work hard in getting a subforum to chat with other like-minded people, then post in that forum. Actually I think if a subforum rarely gets activity, it should be removed. The very few people that do post on that forum would be fine just posting back in the regular beauty forum again I am sure. Especially if all they do is try to promote that brand anyway.  

Like another poster mentioned, I don't like scrolling through a bunch of things I'm not interested and has nothing to do with, say, beauty, just to actually find a beauty post. 

@HappyDaze  I agree with you, esp. in regard to television shows and movies.   They do not belong in Community Chat and there is an active forum for them.   I read a really ridiculous reason last week for an alert about a TV show being placed in CC.

Really?   There is a reason forums are set up here - some people just blow them off.

I agree with your point too about subforums with little activity. They should be deleted.

Honored Contributor

LOTS of inconsistency in the movement or non-movement of threads from community chat......certainly nothing that anyone would be able to figure out! i do think it is a bit frustrating.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Well, I for one, am happy coming here to see how all the people I have come to know are doing.

When I have a general question I prefer asking here so that the people I know can respond. It isn't a matter of "more eyes"

I do not go to an illness or wellness thread. That is a bit like reading the obituary. However, If someone that I post with often is not well; that relates to me and I care. I would feel terrible missing something like that.

We have for the most part shared in happy and sad days. And when one of us needs to seek support , it is nice to know that familiar people will respond.

So, in short, mods please don't be too quick to move all threads.