Respected Contributor

Re: Moving threads to another forum

@SharkE wrote:

"MAY 2017 - What's Cooking - where did the last month go. "  Over in 'Kitchen', I have no idea why this is allowed to stay month after month.

Should be over in 'Among Friends'. What this month after month forum has to do with Q's products or what the normal Kitchen questions, ideas, advice, tips, how to cook, etc. had to do with Kitchen I never could figure out.

People just like to post their pictures and internet pictures of flowers and faraway places I guess.

You don't "cook" in your kitchen?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

they don't stay on 'cooking' discussion you must not ever read it.

they talk about what they did, family issues, put up pics , etc

If you scroll thru the ********* posts you'll see.

Doesn't matter , for whatever reason  doesn't bother the mods, so, that's that.

If you spent much time in there you would know I'm one of the strongest contributors in there. Helping people, uploading pics, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad the moderators move threads to the appropriate subforum.   Chat boards have categories for a reason...  if we came here and saw no subcategories, I don't think any of us would like it.   So, there are subcategories and some people say there are too many but then others start threads asking for more of them.    It's always been my understanding that "Among Friends" and "Community Chat" are designed for those threads that aren't a logical fit for the other subforums or those that might fit into more than one category.

It's a matter of respect and etiquette (or netiquette) to place threads appropriately.   If we decide "my thread" is a special case then why isn't everyone's thread a special case?   Does that mean all of us can, then, start threads anywhere we like?   Where do we draw the line.    Many posters ask the moderators to enforce the policies more evenly and then in the next breath argue for "exceptions to the rules."   Makes no sense to me.

I'm just a little weary of people who have tossed good manners and actual respect for others out the window when they post with anonymous nicknames.    How hard is it for us to start threads in the associated subforum, where they belong?    I know a few posters say they only visit a few of the subforums here, so they want to post with their friends there...  I think that's one reason some people believe the Community isn't interesting or active...  they never take 2 minutes to check other categories to see who's talking and what they're talking about.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

In case anyone's interested, there's a similar active discussion about this in "Customer Care."

"What's the point of having different forums?"

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Customer-Care/What-s-the-point-of-having-different-forums/m-p/3766643#M...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

HappyDaze wrote:

wildcat fan wrote:

Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Marp wrote:

"Technically" shouldn't this thread be moved to Suggestion Box or Q Talk?

@Marp

LOL ..... yes, it should!   Woman LOL

or how about Customer Care?

LOL, that's just it...so many topics could apply in multiple forums.

There are some redundancy in forums, I think. Like why is there a Suggestion box AND customer care (and maybe even Q talk belongs here too)? Can't you make it simply customer care which intuitively includes suggestion from custoemrs to QVC? I personally don't know the difference between community chat and among friends. Can't Today's special value be one and the same with Q talk, since TSVs ARE QVC specific?  Mom to Mom is different from Among friends how? I see discussions about people's children and children issues in multiple forums (community chat, among friends, wellness, etc). 

But we all know, if you are discussing your makeup, that goes in the beauty forum. If you are discussing pets, that would go into the pet lovers. Movie review? Goes into the tv and movies. Sure some may fit into multiple forums but that is more of a product from having too many subforums than anything else. 

I agree there are too many redundancies, @HappyDaze.   I think it adds to the confusion and dilutes the conversations (same thing starting duplicate threads in multiple subforums achieves, by the way...  confusion and fragmentation of discussions).   A few of those subforums need to be consolidated into one, in my opinion.    I still think, however, that "Among Friends" and "Community Chat" were designed for those topics that dont' fit any of the categories or that fit into more than one.  

I also believe if more of us would start threads where they belong and also make time (a minute or two) to visit more of the subcategories, no one would feel they had to start an off-topic thread to get more attention.

Valued Contributor

I've never had a problem with threads being moved.  The Mods always alert you to where the topic has been moved.  If the topic generates enough interest, you will find it near the top of the "Forums" menu.  I think that the entire Community Menu (on the left of your screen) makes it simple to seek threads that may interest you.

And of course we are always free to move on from topics that aren't exactly what we had in mind, or turn out not to be to our liking.  natch!

I don't live here, and i'm certainly never in that big of a hurry to find any particular discussion.  I cruise here to relax, and i'm an equal opportunity surfer.  I always find interesting subjects and contributors in all the forums.  However if i'm having a health issue, or a pet issue, or a painting issue, etc. i can easily seek out ppl w/ similar issues who gather in one particular place.

@Mominohiomakes a good enough point in her o/p about seeking out advice/info/input from a wider range of posters in the  Community Chat forum.  But i've been here from the beginning of the boards through all the changes, and i appreciate the way it is now set up.  And i believe the mods do the absolute best they can considering all the suggestions, complaints, and personalities they deal with every day.

Good luck to all navigating, and remember to stop and smell the roses (Garden Forum)!  May your worries be few tonight!  Cheers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I think it's beyond rude to move a thread to another forum. If we wanted them in another forum we would have started them there.Stop looking for work to do mods. 

@truffle

Not always.  Not long ago, someone started a thread about a TV show in the Beauty section .....  clearly in the wrong place, and it was right to move it.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

I'm glad the moderators move threads to the appropriate subforum.   Chat boards have categories for a reason...  if we came here and saw no subcategories, I don't think any of us would like it.   So, there are subcategories and some people say there are too many but then others start threads asking for more of them.    It's always been my understanding that "Among Friends" and "Community Chat" are designed for those threads that aren't a logical fit for the other subforums or those that might fit into more than one category.

It's a matter of respect and etiquette (or netiquette) to place threads appropriately.   If we decide "my thread" is a special case then why isn't everyone's thread a special case?   Does that mean all of us can, then, start threads anywhere we like?   Where do we draw the line.    Many posters ask the moderators to enforce the policies more evenly and then in the next breath argue for "exceptions to the rules."   Makes no sense to me.

I'm just a little weary of people who have tossed good manners and actual respect for others out the window when they post with anonymous nicknames.    How hard is it for us to start threads in the associated subforum, where they belong?    I know a few posters say they only visit a few of the subforums here, so they want to post with their friends there...  I think that's one reason some people believe the Community isn't interesting or active...  they never take 2 minutes to check other categories to see who's talking and what they're talking about.

I fully agree with you @dooBdoo.  As an example your Memorial Day discussion could have gone under HOLIDAY subforum.

The Antipasta thread should have been in Recipes; and so many more here that should have been moved to their respective sub categories.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

"Technically" shouldn't this thread be moved to Suggestion Box or Q Talk?

@Marp

LOL ..... yes, it should!   Woman LOL

or how about Customer Care?

LOL, that's just it...so many topics could apply in multiple forums.

There are some redundancy in forums, I think. Like why is there a Suggestion box AND customer care (and maybe even Q talk belongs here too)? Can't you make it simply customer care which intuitively includes suggestion from custoemrs to QVC? I personally don't know the difference between community chat and among friends. Can't Today's special value be one and the same with Q talk, since TSVs ARE QVC specific?  Mom to Mom is different from Among friends how? I see discussions about people's children and children issues in multiple forums (community chat, among friends, wellness, etc). 

But we all know, if you are discussing your makeup, that goes in the beauty forum. If you are discussing pets, that would go into the pet lovers. Movie review? Goes into the tv and movies. Sure some may fit into multiple forums but that is more of a product from having too many subforums than anything else. 

I agree there are too many redundancies, @HappyDaze.   I think it adds to the confusion and dilutes the conversations (same thing starting duplicate threads in multiple subforums achieves, by the way...  confusion and fragmentation of discussions).   A few of those subforums need to be consolidated into one, in my opinion.    I still think, however, that "Among Friends" and "Community Chat" were designed for those topics that dont' fit any of the categories or that fit into more than one.  

I also believe if more of us would start threads where they belong and also make time (a minute or two) to visit more of the subcategories, no one would feel they had to start an off-topic thread to get more attention.

This!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'd like the mods to consider that sometimes people start a thread here in Community, because it seems to get the largest amount of views and responses, and it brings in a bigger cross section of people than most of the 'smaller' forums.

Sometimes a poster is looking for advice/information/input from a much wider range of posters than can be found in say, holiday or home or jewelry, on a more general subject in that category. 

A thread on favorite paint color was removed to 'Home' when maybe the poster was looking for a broader audience here, for example. 

And if they are going to move threads that are posted here, to a more specific forum, please do it consistently (like why are there multiple Memorial Day threads here and not moved to 'Holiday').

I know I sometimes post things here specifically because I'm looking for a better cross section of responders than I'll find in the smaller, more defined forums. When the topic is broad enough, I wish they would leave it here, or be more consistent with the 'moving'.

I am very pleased when the moderators do move topics to their appropriate forum subsection. That's what they are for.  That's why the boards are set up this way.

*Call Tyrone*