Trusted Contributor

Foreign films with English subtitles are perfectly alright with me.  Preferable, actually.  The actor's voice is part of the whole package.  Imagine George Clooney or if you prefer Tim Allen with someone else's voice reading the script.  Not acceptable IMO.  I've watched both versions of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and much prefer the original Chinese language verson over the dubbed in English version  The English version is so not genuine to the actor. 

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

Foreign films with English subtitles are perfectly alright with me.  Preferable, actually.  The actor's voice is part of the whole package.  Imagine George Clooney or if you prefer Tim Allen with someone else's voice reading the script.  Not acceptable IMO.  I've watched both versions of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and much prefer the original Chinese language verson over the dubbed in English version  The English version is so not genuine to the actor. 

That's because there some people who can read and simultaneously look at the film and notice all the nuances.  Many of us cannot do that.  We don't like subtitles because we MISS so much of the film while we are reading.  

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JillyMarie wrote:

That's because there some people who can read and simultaneously look at the film and notice all the nuances.  Many of us cannot do that.  We don't like subtitles because we MISS so much of the film while we are reading.  

OK.  I gave my opinion.  Should I not have done that?

Honored Contributor
Doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, within about 5 minutes I don’t even realize they are there. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Some of the best movies I have ever seen are foreign language. What is distracting is dubbing!! Give me subtitles any day.
Honored Contributor

Never been a problem for us. Roma is tops on our Netflix wish list.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal: Somestimes I don't mind subtitles (Roma didn't bother me) and sometimes I don't watch a movie that has them. The fact that Netflix doesn't say upfront whether a movie has subtitles really frosts me!

Honored Contributor

I find them distracting.  I am trying to watch the action and the factial expressions and then I am trying to read the words --- it's tiresome.  The last thing I watched with subtitles was  My Brilliant Friend.  It WAS worth it!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I dislike a subtitled movie.

I lose interest in the movie. it is like reading a book. you can not get into the movie, you are reading subtitle and picture is gone so you can not get what the scene is about.

Honored Contributor

We always turn closed caption on because you can't understand what they're saying any more. To much background noise going on. Different accents, people talk to fast, etc.

We have closed caption on all the time

Honored Contributor

I love subtitled movies.  .  I also love closed captioning.  I don't have a tv in our bedroom anymore but when I did, I always turned on closed captioning. 

That said.  There are movies that have lousy subtitles!!!  Oh yes, they can mess ot up.  If done badly the subtitles are too fast, and not in cinque with lips and movement.