Honored Contributor

I just quit watching a movie that required me to read what they said.  I held out thru half the movie and finally gave up.  I watch a movie to see them act, if I wanted to read the whole thing, I'd read it in a book.  Just got too crazy, I have no patience for that I guess.

Do you enjoy movies if they have subtitles?

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal-

No, I don't either.

Too much work and I end up feeling cross-eyed and while reading, I miss seeing the movie!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

If the movie is good I enjoy it, subtitles or not. Usually after about 10 or 15 mins I forget I’m even reading subtitles.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I do. I would rather read subtitles ,than see a terrible job of dubbing.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the movie is worth the effort,.

Honored Contributor

I can't do it.

I like going to the opera, and none of the ones I see are in English, so I buy the libretto and read it before I go so I know what's happening without having to read every word.

We should get that for movies ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I just quit watching a movie that required me to read what they said.  I held out thru half the movie and finally gave up.  I watch a movie to see them act, if I wanted to read the whole thing, I'd read it in a book.  Just got too crazy, I have no patience for that I guess.

Do you enjoy movies if they have subtitles?

@qualitygal  I so agree. It’s distracting to read while trying to watch the actors....and I speed read! I’m sure I miss many great foreign films because of this. I also wish Netflix will say upfront the movie has subtitles, so I don’t settle in w/ my popcorn, begin the movie, see the words across the bottom and then need to search for another.

Honored Contributor

We have closed captioning on our TVS. Like it and need it.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Subtitles are distracting.  I generally opt out of a foreign film if I have to read subtitles.

Honored Contributor

A whole movie with subtitles would annoy me.

Conversations here and there with subtitles are okay.