Honored Contributor

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

Not only was Jane more soft spoken but Joy was too!  By a LOT!  I remember her on QVC and actually purchased the Collapsible Bakery Box.  It was actually a pretty good product and I used it to transport cakes & cupcakes to school for my kids.  When it was over, it collapsed/folded up and was easy to carry to the car.  

Then I remember being surprised she jumped to HSN and lost track of her until I watched a few shows with her on and  o m g  her style changed... loud, incessant, obnoxious and no speech filter... I was actually really taken by surprise.  Unwatchable.

I had no interest in her mop or her hangers and that was probably the last time I saw

her.

The days of soft selling are looooong over.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

And to cast Jennifer Lawrence....riiight like she resembles her, uh huh or has the talent to act like Mangano.  Ridiculous.  

Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

And to cast Jennifer Lawrence....riiight like she resembles her, uh huh or has the talent to act like Mangano.  Ridiculous.  

I know!!!

Maybe Leah Remini?  They tawk the same.

just saw the movie. it's a reall GIRL POWER flick. some serious lows and you will shed tears of sadness and happiness. actually reminds me more of the beautiful LORI GREINER of QVC and Shark Tank fame. either way, it's worth your time. not sure Oscar contender tho. still in all  ❤️❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the review!  I had read that the story and the subject were really rather uninteresting, but the movie was pretty well done.

While I have zero interest in JM, I will probably watch this when it hits Premium cable because of the cast and that it's probably a decent enough movie about a success story.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Wonder of Jennifer llawrence wears those long, fake claws of finger nails in the movie??

Trusted Contributor

Jennifer Lawrence was just on Jimmy Fallon this week (earlier in the week), obviously doing the movie promo. She said the movie was only partially about Joy Mangano (she referred to her as the mop inventor), then the second half of the movie "goes elsewhere". She said she could not give away the storyline.

Joy, in pure Joy fashion, has been babbling about it for weeks now. If the movie is not "all about her", she sure has made it seem that way.

Although she grates on my nerves, she really is a rags to riches stroy, I give her that much.

I am a lover of the Miracle Mop, which is made by many knock-off manufacturers now, but the premise of how the mop works is awesome. Love mine.

I do not not trust Joy's products any more, she has sold out to cheesy. I would lean more to Lori Grenier, who has kept to good quality and seems to have more integrity.

Or maybe I just like Lori better as a person Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine the target audience for this film. No one except QVC or HSN shoppers know who the heck she is or care, and 98% of them can't stand her. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

------------------------------------

I have no intention of watching the movie but....wonder if  the "joy" actress will be as loud and as obnoxious as Joy seems to be on TV.   I don't watch her shows, but do like her hangars.

Honored Contributor

moonchilde wrote:

I can't imagine the target audience for this film. No one except QVC or HSN shoppers know who the heck she is or care, and 98% of them can't stand her. 

I'm thinking that that is why it was done in kind of a general sense, as to who this person is.    I agree that nobody else has probably ever heard of her, but I think people will probably like the story.

It doesn't hurt that JLaw is one of the biggest actors right now, so there's a huge draw right there.  Smiley Happy