Honored Contributor

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

I made plans with a firiend to see this movie when we saw the trailer a few months ago. This was based on the movies we enjoyed with relativelty the same cast and director. I learned that it was based on Joy M a few weeks before Christimas on these boards.. 

With that being said, we both enjoyed the movie.. Jennifer is wonderful. I made a point of looking for the real Joy M when she was on air to check out her. I saw her last night selling the hangers with an emphasis on the mop that was coming up on the day's specisl (today). The hostess and Joy were plugging away talking a mile a minute. It turned me off.

I do applaud her as a business woman and all they she achieved. I really don't know if I would have gone to see the movie if I have seen her on TV first. BTW she also produced the movie.I 

She was an Executive Producer...that's more of an honorary title.

Shoekitty said

Sometimes It is an honorary title, but mostly involves money.  For the money invested, there is a residual.  Big, BIG residual if it breaks initial investment of making the movie. A friend of ours does producing and has been EP.  Some producers get payback first before others who are also producing., Others can get only a percentage after a box office level is reached.  Producing  works many ways.  But Joy did invest, and why not!! With the cast the had, it was sure to get opening box office payback.... at the very least.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Let's see, a movie about a woman who sells mops & hangers.  WOW.  Can't think of a worse way to waste 2 hours.  Why on earth would anyone find this entertaining.

@brandiwine- I saw the movie today. It was terrific. Great way to spend 2 hours. It was very entertaining. I loved it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

24 pages in so I'm sure no one cares about my opinion, but I'll give it anyway. I saw the movie today and really liked it. I thought it was really well done. 

I've seen 4 movies in the last week and have liked them all- Brooklyn, Spotlight, The Big Short and Joy. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

24 pages in so I'm sure no one cares about my opinion, but I'll give it anyway. I saw the movie today and really liked it. I thought it was really well done. 

I've seen 4 movies in the last week and have liked them all- Brooklyn, Spotlight, The Big Short and Joy. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed it gidgetgh!  I saw all the ones you did.  The Big Short was my least fav.  I loved the other 3!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1- the Big Short was my least favorite too. I think Spotlight was my favorite. Terrific movie. And I really liked Brooklyn also. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

the Big Short was my least favorite too. I think Spotlight was my favorite. Terrific movie. And I really liked Brooklyn also. 

Brooklyn was my favorite movie I've seen this year.  I was very pleasantly surprised by Creed.  I also liked Spotlight.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@winamac1- the Big Short was my least favorite too. I think Spotlight was my favorite. Terrific movie. And I really liked Brooklyn also. 

Hi Gidget--I think I agree with you on my favs in that order!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"