Esteemed Contributor

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@TY wrote:

I saw the movie trailer about a month ago at a movie theatre and Jennifer Lawrence did not have a New York accent in the movie. She looks nothing like Joy Mangano either in the movie trailer.

Then maybe the movie was about Lori Grenier. 

Or the girl who invented Spanx. 

Or the young mother who invented Baby Einstein. 

LOL, then maybe the movie would sound more interesting if Lori Grenier or Sara Blakely were the subjects of this semi biopic. I took a look at the IMDB public reviews and they are certainly mixed. People either like or dislike this movie.

Super Contributor

I saw this movie a couple of days ago and enjoyed it.  So did the four women with me who had no idea whose life the story was based on.  They just enjoyed it for the premise of "poor girl makes good". Also for the good acting!

Occasional Contributor

Your intelligent, non-critical perspective is refreshing!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't seen the movie yet but reading every post I gather it is a movie one loves or doesn't like which is like most all movies. I like uplifting women, not tearing them down (reading some petty stuff which had infected this thread as usual) and I think I would watch a movie about a woman's journey to success. Problem is I don't often get to the movie theatre so will wait for it to come to TV.   I think especially us women should applaud and endorse that climb to success even if we don't care for her mannerisms or products. Only thing I found off-putting was the 42,000 sq ft mansion which is  unfriendly environmentally and a carbon footprint bigger then my town but I will try to overlook that unless I see Joy hopping on about Global Warming. LOL I think either tonight or tomorrow HSN Special Value will be the new and improved Miracle Mop if anyone is interested. By the way who cares how someone watched it, why someone did or didn't like it ect ect. as this is not a grade school playground LOL. I think I will sit with Mac Duff and break out the popcorn deer, sit and watch on Publix or whatever, and then watch some (not all) QVC bloggers snipe each other for sport. Way more dramatic and entertaining. Hehe My wish For New Years is that this world could just Live and Let Live.....To each their own. Hugs to all xoxoxox

Occasional Contributor

This was in response to terrier3.  Have no idea why it came out here...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do have a question regarding Joys Products. Are her products now being made in China? (Hangers, steamer etc) I just figured if she was a rags to riches and made rich in USA and all that maybe she would be inclined to promote American jobs? I don't know and was wondering....that all

Valued Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I do have a question regarding Joys Products. Are her products now being made in China? (Hangers, steamer etc) I just figured if she was a rags to riches and made rich in USA and all that maybe she would be inclined to promote American jobs? I don't know and was wondering....that all

Probably made in China. Her products are junk with a high price tag.

Honored Contributor

My 95 year old Mom went to see the movie the other day with her companion, she did not like it.  She is a movie addict.  She does see every movie out whether she is interested or not.  She did love Spotlight.  I asked her what she didn't like about it.  She said it was slow, and she kept waiting for something to happen.  My Mom has never watched shopping television, and has never heard about it.  She doesn't know about the mop, or Joy.  She did like the fact it was not "vulger", and didn't have all those "4-letter words" or nudity LOL.

Trusted Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

No interest.  I wouldn't even know who she is if I didn't discover shopping channels.

Hangers.  Hmmm.  Back to the drawing board, maybe I'll get lucky, lol.

The movie has nothing to do with hangers - it's a movie about a determined woman who wanted to make a better life for her family - and never gave up.

A movie about EMPOWERING women.

You're wasting your breath, Terrier....many of the women on this board seem to thrive on tearing other women apart.  Bitterness abounds.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@TY wrote:

I saw the movie trailer about a month ago at a movie theatre and Jennifer Lawrence did not have a New York accent in the movie. She looks nothing like Joy Mangano either in the movie trailer.

Then maybe the movie was about Lori Grenier. 

Or the girl who invented Spanx. 

Or the young mother who invented Baby Einstein. 

I think it was a little bit about them all!