Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,839
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

Oh no I am sorry and Im suprised you didnt like it Raven. I am reading great things about it on facebook posts.

 

I dont shop HSN (but I know who Joy is).

 

BUT, DH and I are going because I am a huge fan of Jennifer, Bradley AND DeNiro!

 

I have been waiting to see this movie for 9 months so I hope I like it! lol.

 

(I think we are going sometime this weekend, so I will post back)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,867
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

@terrier3

Yes terrior I see your point.  But why did the producers make it important to portray her with someone who does not resemble her in any way.  Says a lot if they feel they can't market this particular movie with an actress more like Jo in the looks department.  Sort of  sexist IMO.  If they use the name Joy, and tell her story  identical to Joy's life, why is it based?  There are lies in the story then?  LOL.  Most people do not know Joy Mangano. They might remember the mop from commercials. or know the hanger, but not her.  So they will see the movie and believe it is a story about her. Believe me, my daughters shop HSN and QVC and have never heard of her. They should have got someone who looked like her. and talked like her.  But then they were afraid no one would see it?  Robert DeNiro did it as a favor to the director/producer, a friend

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,672
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

I still have the hangers I bought years ago.  I didn't love them but they did what she said they would do.  She built herself and her children an empire through hard work, sweat and tears and never gave up.  I admire her and to have a movie made of her life is a big reward in itself and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,136
Registered: ‎06-03-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U  I really wanted to like it........I happen to like Joy and admire her determination........however, that movie is a bomb, that's not her fault, she'd probably had made it a success IF she had more of a hand in it......it has a great cast, it just lacks a story line that pulls you in......................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,394
Registered: ‎04-19-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano


@Pearlee wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

In reading the linked article, it sounds like she may have been the first vendor they had on air with the host.  It's all her fault lol


Lee Sands always claims to be the first.


Yes, Lee Sands has been mentioned as the first on-air vendor during many of his presentations.

Super Contributor
Posts: 478
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

My thought was with this great cast they can't go wrong with this movie.  I didn't like it at all.  It's two hours long; I looked at my watch and only 40 minutes had gone by and I was anxious for it to end.  Without giving spoilers, the scenes portraying QVC with "guests" were ridulous.  JMO. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,938
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano


@caramels23 wrote:

My thought was with this great cast they can't go wrong with this movie.  I didn't like it at all.  It's two hours long; I looked at my watch and only 40 minutes had gone by and I was anxious for it to end.  Without giving spoilers, the scenes portraying QVC with "guests" were ridulous.  JMO. 


I liked it.  It wasn't "great", but it held my attention...for the most part.

 

DH and I went to see it yesterday.   He didn't hate it, and he doesn't watch QVC or HSN. I think they had to have taken many "liberties" with this as so much seemed incredibly far fetched.  

 

Jennifer Lawrence and Robert De Niro were fabulous in it.    She wasn't the least bit annoying in the movie, LOL.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,954
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano


@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Shorty2U  I really wanted to like it........I happen to like Joy and admire her determination........however, that movie is a bomb, that's not her fault, she'd probably had made it a success IF she had more of a hand in it......it has a great cast, it just lacks a story line that pulls you in......................raven


A bomb? Not at all - the trades all have it projected to have a strong start this weekend.

It's a small "character study" type movie - it didn't cost a lot to make and it never was meant to be compared to the BO of "Star Wars."

 

"Directed by David O. Russell and starring Jennifer Lawrence, Joy is likewise also off to a strong start. The Fox dramedy looks to earn $7 million-plus from 2,896 theaters on Friday for a projected $20 million-plus weekend"

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,954
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano


@shoekitty wrote:

@terrier3

Yes terrior I see your point.  But why did the producers make it important to portray her with someone who does not resemble her in any way.  Says a lot if they feel they can't market this particular movie with an actress more like Jo in the looks department.  Sort of  sexist IMO.  If they use the name Joy, and tell her story  identical to Joy's life, why is it based?  There are lies in the story then?  LOL.  Most people do not know Joy Mangano. They might remember the mop from commercials. or know the hanger, but not her.  So they will see the movie and believe it is a story about her. Believe me, my daughters shop HSN and QVC and have never heard of her. They should have got someone who looked like her. and talked like her.  But then they were afraid no one would see it?  Robert DeNiro did it as a favor to the director/producer, a friend


First of all - it is a movie BASED on the life of Joy Magnano. They made that very clear at the start. It's s not meant to be a documentary. It's also not the story of QVC or HSN. It's a more universal story - a young women who perseveres in spite of a dysfunctional family and lots of roadblocks placed in her way.

 

Sexist? Jennifer Lawrence is one of her generation's greatest actors. I don't think she played this role to be "glamorous"...

 

This is the third movie that Robert DeNiro, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have made for David O Russell. They are ALL his friends - and are thrilled to be included in his award winning movies. It wasn't a "favor" - if you read their interviews about the movie - they all considered it an HONOR to work for him again.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,954
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano


@PeterDM wrote:

This movie received only 58% on Rotten Tomatoes.  That's pretty bad.  Even "Krampus" and "Sisters" tallied higher percentages.  


My son works in the movie industry and is home from 3 month assignment in LA for Christmas - he's going back for NYE. We always go to see a LOT of movies when he is around.

 

The last feature film he worked on was "Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles" (not MY type of movie, and not really his type either!)

 

He saw "Joy" on a screener his roommate got as a member of the Screenwriters Guild and he wanted to see it again in a theater.

 

He commented, @PeterDM, about the Rotten Tomatoes rating. RT, he told me, skews towards large blockbusters and mass appeal movies - not smaller character study type films like "Joy." The poor rating surprised him.

 

Today we are seeing "The Big Short", then "Brooklyn" - which gives you an idea of what we enjoy.