Respected Contributor

Re: Movie "Joy" about Joy Mangano

@gidgetgh wrote:

I plan on seeing it.  

Yes.  Sounds like something I'd enjoy, by the way Terrier described it.  Wish Bradley had a bigger role, tho !

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

My question is would it be such a great movie if they hired a more homely looking actor to play Joy? Joy is not attractive, and looks nothing like Jennifer Lawrence. 

She's NOT doing an "impression" of Joy...it's not like a movie about Jackie & JFK where they make the actors alter their appearance to resemble the person being portrayed.

Joy's rags to riches story is the basis on the movie - not a strict recreation of her persona.

Valued Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Let's see, a movie about a woman who sells mops & hangers.  WOW.  Can't think of a worse way to waste 2 hours.  Why on earth would anyone find this entertaining.

Those who enjoy movies with very little substance.

Honored Contributor

I would like to see it, if someone else was playing Joy.  I am sure her story is interesting.  I will watch 20/20.  She has great ideas.  I love her sheet system and her readers.  She can be over the top with her presentations but she is good at what she does.  I have not heard of anyone else on a shopping channel having a movie based on them.  I am very impressed that Robert DeNiro is in the movie.  Don't get much bigger than Rober DeNiro.This alone is impressive.

Respected Contributor

just got through watching the movie............snooze fest...........great cast but the movie is just boring..............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Valued Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

just got through watching the movie............snooze fest...........great cast but the movie is just boring..............................raven

Not surprising.

Trusted Contributor

This movie received only 58% on Rotten Tomatoes.  That's pretty bad.  Even "Krampus" and "Sisters" tallied higher percentages.  

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Desertdi@PamfromCT, I cannot even fathom a 42,000 square foot home. 

I would guess she also has an army of maids................

With really great and handy mops . . . Smiley Wink

And I'd be happy with one.

I'll be honest, those spin mops are the bomb and I wish Joy all of the success she has achieved . . . she worked hard to get where she is and I applaud the fact that she never stopped no matter what.

Do I watch her on TV?  No I don't but I still wish her all the success in the world including with this movie.  She didn't get a 42,000 square foot house without grit and hustle and I am happy for her.

You're right about that, mtc!

I'd like to see this movie. I admire her for what she has done, so this movie would be interesting to me. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Joy Mangano is a divorced mother of three.

Reportedly she is worth $50 million, worked hard and earned it on her own.

Good for her. 

Super Contributor

I just watched it tonight. I thought it was great. It was the best movie I've seen in a long time.