Esteemed Contributor

Re: Movie Preference - Theatre or On demand at Home

[ Edited ]

In the theatre for sure, Our favorite theatre (AMC) just upgraded to reclining seats, better food a bar etc.. Morning shows (before noon) are only $4.99. We go almost every Sunday.. (except in Winter, not as much).

Also there is a theatre in the next town over that is 5 bucks (but that one is very old fashioned so prefer the 1st one). In the AMC we don't get snacks though. In the old theater we do get popcorn because its only 1.25 to 2.50 for popcorn and small sodas are 1 dollar The AMC one is too pricey for food.

PS To me there's nothing better than watching a movie on the giant movie screen, especially certain movies with wonderful scenery. . 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I like to go to the theater to watch a movie.  We have reclining seats and reserved seats.  I like to sit in a certain spot.  LOL

I don't mind watching movies at home either.  

Honored Contributor

My adult son and I have a long-standing tradition of watching at least one big summer and/or Christmas action thriller/blockbuster together in the movie theater.  These call for the large screen, preferably IMAX theaters (or so he insists).  These days, he goes with his girlfriend or some buddies first, but always wants to see the movie again with me (whether I'm really interested in the movie or not Smiley Very Happy).  It's fun, and usually turns into lunch or dinner afterwards, so it's a great time for us.

But all other movies I watch on my streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu), happily, in the comfort of my own home. 

Honored Contributor

I like to get out for a bit, and go to a film, but, I also enjoy seeing them at home. I think some films are just made, to be seen on a big screen

Respected Contributor

Theatre for me. We have AMC theatres here with reserved seating and reclining seats. Super clean and fairly new theatres. Some have full bars and restaurant food that you order and an usher brings it to you. The seats have little pop up tables if you want to use them. Of course it is not cheap. A mattinee costs $13-$17.  I saw A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody in the theatre and these movies would not have been the same watching at home on a TV no matter the size of the TV. 

Respected Contributor

It's Theaters for me and my family. We love going! Reclining seats, great sound system, popcorn, milkduds and wine.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven’t been to a movie theatre since my grandchildren were little. They’re now in their 20s. I definitely prefer watching movies at home. I can pause, rewind, and sit around in my nightie eating a bag of popcorn and drinking champagne

Honored Contributor

@vacationday wrote:

I recently saw Red Sparrow and I Feel Pretty on tv and all I can say is how happy I am that I didn't pay good money to see them in a theatre though I wanted to when they first came out.  

Funny you mention these two movies because I just saw both of them recently too. I agree I Feel Pretty was terrible, but I did like Red Sparrow.

Honored Contributor

I prefer the theater. At a weekday matinee that's not too crowded. To me there's still nothing like watching a movie on a big giant screen with that sound and picture. Other people can hinder your enjoyment, that's why I rarely go on a weekend or at night.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

We do watch most movies at home now, especially now that the they are available on On Demand so quickly.  But I do indeed like the movie theatre experience.  Sure there are all the things you listed....sometimes...ocasionally....and not all of them happen at the same time.  How funny would that be..LOL   People talking on the cell phones isn't something I see in movies.  The big problem for me is those imbeciles who bring small children and babies with them.  Then they squeeze their axxes in your face and tromp all over your feet a million times when they take the kiddos to the bathroom and to get snacks and then back to bathroom and back for more snacks.  The don't even see the move, so why are they there????  And then there's the babies whining and crying.  It's the senior citizens who do the talking.  They can't keep track of the storyline or the characters so it's "is that the guy who had the gun"   "Is that the mother or the daughter?"  "They are in CA, I thought it was Miami"  and on and on throughout the entire movie.  It's better if we take in the midnight showing but since we're almost seniors ourselves....midnight is a little late for us...LOL