Honored Contributor

This morning the temps was 11F with a strong, steady wind..  I dressed in layers, and wrapped two scarves, a hat and ear muffs under my hood!  The only thing that felt cold this morning was my face,  We have to walk a rather long way on campus to get to my office.  When I got there.....I could not speak.  Literally.  I could make sounds, nothing else.  Talk about embarrassment!  Finally after almost 15 minutes, my mouth started to move.  I could finally speak. Not very well, but I could speak.  I think my mouth got frozen!

Honored Contributor

@songbird

OUCH !

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@songbird You poor thing!  I can't wait for spring myself.  

Honored Contributor

@songbird   Goodness! That must have been a bit frightening?  I remember being in such cold  weather years ago and on my eye lashes became covered with ice and I could not open my eyes well..... 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@songbird   Goodness! That must have been a bit frightening?  I remember being in such cold  weather years ago and on my eye lashes became covered with ice and I could not open my eyes well..... 

I'd rather my mouth then an eye lash.  That sounds awful. My face was red for a while too.  That is a very early sign of frostbite.  My goodness.  My coworker could at least speak.  She said she had trouble working her mouth.  The way to my office is the "wind tunnel" I walked directly in to a very cold wind the whole time.

Honored Contributor

Did you cover your mouth ,and nose, with a scarf ,in the cold? They have been warning about breathing in very cold air

Honored Contributor

Goodness @songbird!  I am so glad the feeling came back quickly.  I remember my sledding days and the numb feet and prickly fingers that I defrosted over the stove every once in a while.

I hope either the weather warms quickly or that campus president gets wise and shuts it down.  At some point, it's just not okay to ask people to endure that.  Even for a few minutes and a quick recovery.    

Stay safe!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Did you cover your mouth ,and nose, with a scarf ,in the cold? They have been warning about breathing in very cold air

No.  Like a moron, I didn't listen or even think about covering my face.  Other people did.  They looked scary walking around with eye covering and ski masks.   The artic wind just blew directly in my face.  I had my mouth open, I felt like a couldn't breathe.  Our university opened up at the normal time.  We didn't get a lot of snow, just terrible cold.  If we had it as bad as Minnesota, I wouldn't have come in towk. 

Honored Contributor

When it's that cold, it doesn't long to freeze in cold like that, I wrap a big scarf around my neck and the bottom half of my face.

Respected Contributor

8- today, State government shut, schools closed, no mail but retailers were open, workers showed up & everyplace I went today was busy...lots of kids shopping with parents & restaurant parking lots were filled. Everyone I volunteer with arrived on time & many of them have farm animals to care for too. Yes its cold but everyday work & life goes on.