Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mountain Lion Stalks Utah Hiker

They can be shy so I have only seen one around the house.  He was just walking through a mowed field perpendicular to me so I got a long sighting up pretty close.  I was awed, I see how they can take down a human, just glad I did not have a dog with me.

Esteemed Contributor

Saw this on the news and my heart was racing.... holy moly!  That guy was so brave!  If that would've happened to me, I would've had a heart attack right then and there.  It's a great video.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr   There wasn't another hiker.  He said he was getting a rock, and then you could see the rock headed towards the mountain lion.  He also said in the interview later that he threw a rock and it ran away.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

😮 I have watched nature shows for years, and have never seen anything quite THIS awe-inspiring. The way she "postured" at him reminded me of a person fencing; on guard! Fortunately for  him, she meant only to intimidate, and was not considering him as an entree for her cubs.😁 

A mother's love has no bounds😊.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @NickNack .  Yes, I'd read he threw a rock and that's why the lion ran away.  But comments here seemed to indicate there were two versions of the video - one showed him throwing the rock and the other didn't.  Strange!  but no matter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thank you, @NickNack .  Yes, I'd read he threw a rock and that's why the lion ran away.  But comments here seemed to indicate there were two versions of the video - one showed him throwing the rock and the other didn't.  Strange!  but no matter.

@ValuSkr   Yes, the video posted here cut the part where he threw the rock out.  I don't know why.  There was an interview with him on YouTube that played right after the video posted.  In that video he said he threw a rock.  I saw the version on the news that showed him saying he threw the rock and showing it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Please don't go jogging/walking all alone on remote trails, etc.

At the very least, can one purchase some sort of spray repellant, similar to what the postal posters carry on their routes.?

Or perhaps a loud high pitched alarm contraption?

Better to be with others, imo.  I have a feeling that a mountain lion would retreat, seeing two or three or more people walking or running along a path.  I'm not sure, though.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Cats always attack from behind. That's why you should never run from any cat, not even a domesticated one. When they see your back, that triggers the predator/prey response. If anyone has ever seen two cats fight, they never turn their backs to each other. They hiss and growl and never take their eyes off each other and they move very slowly. This man must have known that and it saved him from becoming lunch.

Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Cats always attack from behind. That's why you should never run from any cat, not even a domesticated one. When they see your back, that triggers the predator/prey response. If anyone has ever seen two cats fight, they never turn their backs to each other. They hiss and growl and never take their eyes off each other and they move very slowly. This man must have known that and it saved him from becoming lunch.

I read that as well,they attack from the back. Video was scary! All over social media.