Respected Contributor

Re: Mount St. Helens in WA State

THIRTY NINE YEARS AGO?  shocking

Esteemed Contributor

My parents lived on Whidbey Island, which I guess is part of the lower San Juan chain. There are several islands in that group. They could go to south island and catch a ferry to the mainland, or they could go to north island and cross Deception Pass Bridge to get on or off the island. Camano, just south of Whidbey has a causeway that allows access to the island. Puget Sound has ferries to many other islands closer to Seattle. It's kind of a way of life here. 

Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

My parents lived on Whidbey Island, which I guess is part of the lower San Juan chain. There are several islands in that group. They could go to south island and catch a ferry to the mainland, or they could go to north island and cross Deception Pass Bridge to get on or off the island. Camano, just south of Whidbey has a causeway that allows access to the island. Puget Sound has ferries to many other islands closer to Seattle. It's kind of a way of life here. 

I have visited WA many times.  I love it there, it's beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackson08 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I have visited WA many times.  I love it there, it's beautiful!

Well, DO come back. We're always glad to show off our state.

Regular Contributor

My husband's grandparents lived close enough to see the dome from their home but far away enough not to evacuate. After that it was gone.

We all went up there in 92 before we our PCS move and his aunt and uncle took on us a Mount St. Helens trip.  We started out where it ended and they took us all along its path till we reached the volcano. It was really something to see and looked like an alien landscape. We stopped at the museum on the way up and watched films. It was really heartbreaking.  

On our way out there we stopped at Mount Rushmore and bought a plate made out of the ash. Beautiful country out there. I had never been that far out west and it was trip I will always remember.

Honored Contributor

@nekodaisy wrote:

My husband's grandparents lived close enough to see the dome from their home but far away enough not to evacuate. After that it was gone.

We all went up there in 92 before we our PCS move and his aunt and uncle took on us a Mount St. Helens trip.  We started out where it ended and they took us all along its path till we reached the volcano. It was really something to see and looked like an alien landscape. We stopped at the museum on the way up and watched films. It was really heartbreaking.  

On our way out there we stopped at Mount Rushmore and bought a plate made out of the ash. Beautiful country out there. I had never been that far out west and it was trip I will always remember.

@nekodaisy   Thank you for your post - how interesting!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Annabellethecat66   No I'm not thinking of moving there.  Why on earth would you even think that?   Just because I posted this thread?   I'm just amazed it was almost 40 years ago that happened - time goes by so fast.

Post about something happening in WA doesn't mean I'm thinking of moving there.

——————-😺

You’d be lucky to move to Washington. 🥰I was born and raised her, it’s a beautiful State. Central and Eastern Washington, are quite different, from Western Washington, where the heaviest concentration of  population live. Western Washington also gets considerably more rain, than the other parts of the State. 

While the weather can be wet and gloomy, there are also long stretches, of gorgeous weather.  

I lve live in SPOKANE and was 8 years old,when the eruption happened. As experiences go, it was a weird one. 

I mainly remember it getting dark as night, and then all that ash starting to fall and the strong smell of sulfur. 

Many businesses and schools were closed for days!

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK   My father was stationed in Spokane for a while before he was sent overseas to serve in WWII.  He had just married my mother (they got married when they did because he was going overseas for WWII) and both my parents have always spoken well of Spokane and having enjoyed their time in the state of WA.  

As for I'd be "lucky" to move to WA, well since you don't know where I live now and since you don't know how well I like living where I do.... I'm not so sure about that remark.  But I'm happy for you that you love living there.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Annabellethecat66   We have THE BEST WEATHER HERE in Washington State.....we just want peopke to THINK it rains all the time so they stay away.....it doesn't rain all the time....it is UTOPIA. 🙂

———-

Yup😉

US World News and Report,just listed Washington; as the top State in the country!

I love the fact, that’s it’s not humid.