Honored Contributor

Re: Motivation: Do you Agree With This?

Overall, I think it is spot on.

I do believe you can motivate others, but if the fire isn't internalized, it does burn out quickly. 

Sometimes a spark from outside can ignite things inside.

Honored Contributor

ITA!!!

Respected Contributor

It reminds me of when I made my first trip to a gym nearly 38 years ago.  I probably would never have made that plunge if it hadn't been for a close friend who had gone there and motivated me to accompany her to try it out.

As of today, I'm still working out every day, while my friend quit that gym after only a few visits.  Sometimes it takes an outside force to awaken what was already asleep inside you.  I sometimes wonder what would have happened if it weren't for that first visit to the gym, which ultimately changed my life. 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Absofreakinglutlely!!

Honored Contributor

I 100% agree with that.  .  

Honored Contributor

I don't know, I think that you can be inspired by other people. But you have to want it for yourself, outside pressure isn't going to make you want it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Totally agree.  In fact, I'll take it further. If someone tries to light that fire for me, chances are I will throw cold water on it immediately.  The more someone else pushes me, the more stubborn I get.

I have a best friend that has spent her entire life with this attitude, that a mere suggestion from someone else drives her in the opposite direction and even when she knows it is counterintuitive. 

It is both immature and self destructive. It has not served her well and her life is a mess because of it. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio   ITA.  A lot of great opportunities can be missed with that attitude.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Mominohio   ITA.  A lot of great opportunities can be missed with that attitude.

Funny thing is, she is totally aware of it, and we've talked about it for years. She knows she does it (says it started with rebellion in her teen years against her mother, just to be contrary), and she admits it leads her to make bad choices. But there is just something about her that makes he want to defy anyone or any entity that is trying to tell her what to do, or even suggesting options. If she knows they/it want her to do one thing, she will do the opposite, even when knowing it isn't in her best interest.

Gotta be something mentally or emotionally off for this to continue into adulthood.

@2blonde

Honored Contributor

I have often been inspired by someone to make a positive change. Not everything comes from within. Keep an open mind and be open to suggestion. It can be life affirming and many a suggestion I have incorporated into the way I live my life.