Respected Contributor

Re: Motivation: Do you Agree With This?

Yes and No.

I guess I'm thinking of kids who grow up in dysfunctional homes with little to hope for in terms of succeeding in life.  Someone who cares - who can expose them to new ideas/opportunities and encourage their interests and faith in themselves - can be very motivating.

Ultimately, though, you have to find your own inner drive.

Honored Contributor

I agree with statement.

no matter how many fires are lit under you, they burn ever so briefly then burn out.

Only you can motivate yourself. If you are motivated you will not gain anything.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

Totally agree.  In fact, I'll take it further. If someone tries to light that fire for me, chances are I will throw cold water on it immediately.  The more someone else pushes me, the more stubborn I get.

I have a best friend that has spent her entire life with this attitude, that a mere suggestion from someone else drives her in the opposite direction and even when she knows it is counterintuitive. 

It is both immature and self destructive. It has not served her well and her life is a mess because of it. 

I will never do the opposite "just because" someone suggests or advises things, BUT - I've always had no problem looking at all sides of something, evaluating, and making my own decisions. I've never needed any "help" or "push." 

Someone else may be of the mindset that they have all the answers about everything for everyone they know - or even those they don't know; we all see this fairly frequently.

Just because someone suggests something to me doesn't mean it's a good idea for me, and not following such advice doesn't mean I'm willfully contrary, it means I don't think it's a good idea. And then there are the people who volunteer advice and suggestions when you didn't ask, and get highly insulted when you don't take it. Yes, to those people I'm "do the opposite" and "stubborn," but AFAIC I don't need or want their "help"and they're being obnoxious and rude in their wise-a** insistence that they know juuust what to do.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I agree. Motivation does seem to need to be organic to be effective and sustained. An other can provide incentives that bolster or support motivation, and it's certainly possible and sometimes desirable for one's own motivation to align with the objectives of another individual or entity. When that happens, it may appear that outside forces are motivating when they're not.

------

Is this gibberish or plagiarism @noodleann?  Either way, it is a waste of time.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I agree. Motivation does seem to need to be organic to be effective and sustained. An other can provide incentives that bolster or support motivation, and it's certainly possible and sometimes desirable for one's own motivation to align with the objectives of another individual or entity. When that happens, it may appear that outside forces are motivating when they're not.

------

Is this gibberish or plagiarism @noodleann?  Either way, it is a waste of time.

Sorry you feel that way, @AuntG. Please feel free to avoid my posts in future. 

Respected Contributor

Haha @noodleann and @AuntG

A tapestry of sarcasm weaving from thread to thread!