Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mother Teresa is Now Officially Saint Teresa

I am not a Catholic but live in Italy part of the year.  I had the privilege to have met the last three Popes in small audiences and you feel you are in the presence of goodness when you are in the same room with them; you don't have to be Catholic. 

I view Mother Teresa in the same way but I also see her as a great woman: a Nobel Peace Prize, on the top of "most admired people in the world" multiple times, Time Magazine, multiple times....just too many accolades to mention....

Yet, she was not without controversy, faith crises, doubts about her beliefs/faith, feelings of abandonment by her God....but, never to be confused by doubting the existence of God...John Paul was criticized by Vatican officials when he placed Mother on the "fast track" to sainthood and was asked "what miracles did she perform?"  His reply "her life"

John Paul had it right...Mother Teresa chose to care for those rejected by society, the lepers, those with tuberculosis and AIDS/HIV (before medications, education and acceptance); it was not her role as a Catholic to do so but out of love for others she became a great humanitarian.   I love many of her quotes but one that always gives me chills is...upon opening the first regional hospice "a beautiful death for those who lived like animals to die like angels...loved and wanted".  

I applaud the Catholic Church and the efforts of John Paul and Francis in canonizing St Teresa of Calcutta because she is a Saint in every sense of the word.  It is the Churches way of recognizing the contributions of special people to their faith, church and humanity.  I loved that Francis invited 1500 homeless, gave them seats of honor and fed them pizza at the Vatican. 

Mother Teresa was a great humanitarian but was a great woman! 

Valued Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

I didn't realize there are actually people in the world that DON'T think Mother Theresa was a wonderful person.  She was pretty much the poster child for how a good Christian should be.

Agreed, @Mellie32.

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.  Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.  Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.  Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.  Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.  Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten.  Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway.

-this version is credited to Mother Teresa

http://prayerfoundation.org/mother_teresa_do_it_anyway.htm

Esteemed Contributor

And today is her first Feast Day.  She died on September 5th, 19 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Catholics have a new saint; that is far from "the world".  I'm happy for them but I don't believe in the concept of saints.  

Shoekitty said,

Chrystaltree, you are always so positive.  You never disappoint.

Thank you,  I think even on an anonymous board like this, honesty is important.