Esteemed Contributor

Mother Teresa is Now Officially Saint Teresa

The world has a new Saint. I think that it's nice that Mother Teresa was made a Saint. I'm not Catholic, but I think that there can never be too many Saints.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mother Teresa is Now Officially Saint Teresa

What wonderful news to read first thing on a Sunday morning!

Trusted Contributor

Glad it's official.  What a wonderful woman, we should all emulate her behavior.  

One of very few who was a saint on earth. I believe she is the second Saint Therese (there could be more)... Must be in the name...

Respected Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

Glad it's official.  What a wonderful woman, we should all emulate her behavior.  

One of very few who was a saint on earth. I believe she is the second Saint Therese (there could be more)... Must be in the name...

I believe she is being called "St. Mother Teresa' since the RC faith has several prominent St. Teresa's, including the mystic St. Teresa of Avila from the 16 th century.

Esteemed Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@Jtdmum wrote:

I believe she is being called "St. Mother Teresa' since the RC faith has several prominent St. Teresa's, including the mystic St. Teresa of Avila from the 16 th century.

@maestra- I believe the Pope canonized her as "Blesssed Teresa of Kolkata (Calcutta)". 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@maestra wrote:

@Jtdmum wrote:

@maestra- I believe the Pope canonized her as "Blesssed Teresa of Kolkata (Calcutta)". 

Yes, that's correct. But we also have St. Theresa 'the little flower' and St. Teresa of Avila. Wonderful news.

Honored Contributor

As a Catholic, I don't begrudge Mother Theresa sainthood.

I am still waiting for Fr. Solanus Casey's turn :-(

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@maestra wrote:

@Jtdmum wrote:

Yes, that's correct. But we also have St. Theresa 'the little flower' and St. Teresa of Avila. Wonderful news.

@Judaline@Stray@maestra

Mother Teresa was canonized as St. Teresa of Kolkata.  She was already "Blessed'.

Beatification is part of the canonization process - she was bestowed "Blessed" as part of the path to sainthood.

Once declared a saint, she is no longer referred to as "Blessed".  The Pope announced her as Blessed when he declared her as a saint because that was her status before final canonization.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Amazing woman.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 Oh, boy, I'm ashamed. I'm a Catholic and had it wrong-on my way to mass now so I'll see what they say. Thanks.