Honored Contributor

Mother Of Columbine Killer Breaks Silence

[ Edited ]

Just a heads up for those who are interested.  Dianne Sawyer will be interviewing Sue Klebold tonight.  I saw a preview of it just now and think it might be especially helpful for parents to tune in.  They will be talking about the signs she missed and her agony over lives lost and what to look for, denial, etc.  I think it's on at 10:00 pm on  20/20.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mother Of Columbine Killer Breaks Silence

I saw a preview of the program this morning. I don't think I'm going to watch. It will be so painful for so many reasons. And today, two more teens were shot at a high school. My anger and frustration about our inability to deal with all of these shootings is another reason why I don't think I can watch.

Honored Contributor

@jubilantit's on 20/20, not CNN.

Thanks for the alert.  I am going to DVR it.

Honored Contributor

OOPS!  Thanks for the correction.  I'll see if I can change it.

Honored Contributor

I cannot imagine the pain this mother has lived with since the day of this tragedy. Unlike the victims' families who have received only support, she's lived with  "if only", maybe I could have prevented this massacre.

I do not think I can watch.

Honored Contributor

I am hoping many parents will watch this tonight.  So many troubled kids out there today. If someone can learn from this woman's pain and the mistakes she now knows she made, or she chalked up to something harmless, or she was in total denial about..... maybe those with kids showing similar behaviors..... might sit up and take notice and lives could be saved. 

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I am hoping many parents will watch this tonight.  So many troubled kids out there today. If someone can learn from this woman's pain and the mistakes she now knows she made, or she chalked up to something harmless, or she was in total denial about..... maybe those with kids showing similar behaviors..... might sit up and take notice and lives could be saved. 

Beautifully said Jubilant, thank you so much for your wise and perhaps hard to hear words.

I truly hope as hard as it will be to watch that all parents do so they can perhaps better understand/recognize behaviors in their children and avoid yet another tragedy for everyone.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Does she admit to making mistakes?

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

Such a sad situation - I'm sure the guilt is overwhelming.  Before this incident, I'd probably not have imagined a troubled teen(s) would do such a thing and therefore, I would probably have missed the signs, too.

Now, many of us watch for signs that perhaps aren't even there, rather than miss something.  This event was life changing for those whose careers involve interaction with young folks.

Honored Contributor

.....does she have a book coming out soon?  She's not an expert on the subject, she has nothing to offer anyone.  Her experiences are hers and hers alone; no two of these cases are the same.  I won't watch it....