Respected Contributor

Most amusing spam phone calls we had recently

[ Edited ]

I usually don't answer calls that our phone provider labels "spam" , but just for fun, I occasionally try to engage the caller in conversation.

The best one yet......

A foreign-accented guy  opens with the usual "how are you?" and immediately proceeds to inform me that I "can get up to $500,000 in cash and I don't have to pay it back, but it's not free."

How's that for making no sense at all?

I immediately cracked up laughing.  Asked him if he knew what he was offering, which obviously was  a reverse mortgage. 

Told him that I had been in real estate for many years,his sales pitch was hilariously stupid and suggested he educate  himself as to the product being sold.  He hung up on me.

Still,  I had a good time listening to the most ridiculous approach to a serious subject that I've ever heard.

It was almost as funny as the spam call that my husband had fun with recently.  The caller said "all TVs in our zip code were going to go dead soon".  (Say what???)

My husband asked him repeatedly what he was trying to sell and NEVER got an answer after asking at least four times.

Honored Contributor

Re: Most amusing spam phone calls we had recently

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 Now THAT'S funny!! Many years ago when spam calls were in their infancy, DH would NOT answer them but once in awhile I did just for fun.

One I got was from a young man who was trying his "talk" and I kept asking, very seriously, "do you know the Lord"?  He hemmed and hawed and kept talking and I said "you know God loves you" and he said "um ok' and kept talking. After me doing this a couple of time he just said "um bye". We had a good laugh at that one.

Honored Contributor

One I got was not amusing. I was asked about the size of my breasts. Hubbs was on the other end and set the guy right.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My younger son used to love answering the phone & messing around with any telemarketers that called. The funniest thing he ever did was 10 or 15 years ago. He picked up the phone, let the caller talk, then he burst out with "I'm pregnant & the baby is yours!" He said the caller said "huh?" & hung up immediately. I was laughing so hard. He also liked to pretend that he didn't speak English, he'd speak to them in gibberish.

Honored Contributor

My youngest son who is normally pretty quiet loves to harass spam callers.

As soon as they start talking, he tells them they have a sexy voice. He asks if they wanna talk sexy over the phone....oh, he gets hung up on...by male and female callers.

Esteemed Contributor

What about Medicare calling asking if you have "received your new card"? I've had over a dozen calls asking the same question in the past 10-14 days from a local number and the same female who already has my information. (I won't answer any questions.) Yet she calls and calls. Annoying!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I never answer unknown or unfamiliar numbers. However, I did hear a good opening line if anyone wants to try it. "Hello,  you're live and on air." They said practically every caller immediately hangs up.

Respected Contributor

We have gotten a lot of political calls.  Many requests for polls.  Won't talk to them.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

What about Medicare calling asking if you have "received your new card"? I've had over a dozen calls asking the same question in the past 10-14 days from a local number and the same female who already has my information. (I won't answer any questions.) Yet she calls and calls. Annoying!

@BirkiLady 

No way would I answer them.  Do you have caller ID?  Don't answer any "toll free calls" or general, say, "Missouri call."  99.9% of the time they just hang up when your answering machine picks up.  Just ignore them.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I ignore 99% of the calls...but sometimes I get fed up and answer just to mess with them.

And YES I know supposedly you shouldn't because it shows you have a live phone line, but if I'm in the mood....

1) Some foreign sounding guy called to offer me 0% interest "on my VISA card".

I asked "WHICH bank? I have several VISA cards."

We went round and round, finally he said sternly:  "SHUT UP!!!" and abruptly hung up.

2) I answer politely, then keep loudly asking "What??" , "OKAY!!!" and "Yay ah" like the Rapper Lil Jon ( Look him up on You Tube. Dave Chappell used to imitate him perfectly.) the calls don't last long!!! (Look at "Lil Jon at the Airport")

3) I let them begin thier spiel and then tell them, getting louder and louder "I can't hear you....can you speak up?" every time there's a pause...

4) If they sound Indian, I ask about "what is that spice that makes Indian food so delicious? I need it for  my recipe..." and keep asking til they hang up.

I'm going to remember that answer the one poster's son said about "You're the father"..that is funnnnneeee!

I get them all,,,,Medicare, polical nonsense, the fake "Police" scams, the "your SS card has been used on the border and the number will be cancelled...and til recently,many many "you car warranty is about to expire ( on my 11 year old car!!!).

Ridiculous!!!

I do have to say that a lot of them are wise now and just hang up the minute they figure  out you're messing with them...