Honored Contributor

Re: Most amusing spam phone calls we had recently

@On It 

My go to line is to answer with Detective Bureau, Sgt ? speaking.  

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 Funny!  I'll have to remember thant one. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

I ignore 99% of the calls...but sometimes I get fed up and answer just to mess with them.

And YES I know supposedly you shouldn't because it shows you have a live phone line, but if I'm in the mood....

1) Some foreign sounding guy called to offer me 0% interest "on my VISA card".

I asked "WHICH bank? I have several VISA cards."

We went round and round, finally he said sternly:  "SHUT UP!!!" and abruptly hung up.

2) I answer politely, then keep loudly asking "What??" , "OKAY!!!" and "Yay ah" like the Rapper Lil Jon ( Look him up on You Tube. Dave Chappell used to imitate him perfectly.) the calls don't last long!!! (Look at "Lil Jon at the Airport")

3) I let them begin thier spiel and then tell them, getting louder and louder "I can't hear you....can you speak up?" every time there's a pause...

4) If they sound Indian, I ask about "what is that spice that makes Indian food so delicious? I need it for  my recipe..." and keep asking til they hang up.

I'm going to remember that answer the one poster's son said about "You're the father"..that is funnnnneeee!

I get them all,,,,Medicare, polical nonsense, the fake "Police" scams, the "your SS card has been used on the border and the number will be cancelled...and til recently,many many "you car warranty is about to expire ( on my 11 year old car!!!).

Ridiculous!!!

I do have to say that a lot of them are wise now and just hang up the minute they figure  out you're messing with them...

@Othereeeen It is all so ridiculous! 

I also usually don't answer but once time I was in one of my moods and I picked up the phone.  I asked why were they calling me right away....no hello.   She said, "Because I can".  I said," Well I can hang up". ... and I did.  I was afraid that she would call back but she didn't.

It's really bad this time of year with political calls and Medicare scams.

I feel that the phone compamy can do something about it but chooses not to since they must be making money somehow.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get all kinds of crazy calls, but they're upping their game. I recently got a very official sounding call stating I had won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes. Uh, I don't think so. I believe you have to enter to win it. 

Regular Contributor

My husband does very good imitations.  One time we got the call from India and he talked to them with his Indian accent.  The conversation lasted quite some time with the guy on the other end asking him what part he was from and all kind of other questions.

Another time they called once again and this time my husband did his redneck backwoods voice. They were on the phone for a good 45 minutes (these are the ones where they need access to your computer) before my husband asked him if he could call back in about an hour because he had to eat dinner. We didn't think he would but an hour later then the phone rang and it was him.  During that long phone call my husband would holler at his pretend son telling him he needed to get off his sister.  

After awhile or till we got bored then he would switch to his normal voice and holler at them till they hung up or we did.

Trusted Contributor

I have to say that for this subject  I Win. I had a spam call last week and the guy was so stoned he could hardly talk. I said are you stoned and he said yes? I said really . I couldn't believe it.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch They NEVER contact the winner by phone, it's always in person.

Valued Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

One I got was not amusing. I was asked about the size of my breasts. Hubbs was on the other end and set the guy right.

Now this is one I could have fun with !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Often I will answer like they have called a business.  Then ask if they are a customer or vendor.I then add that if they are expecting as  shipment in the next 2 weeks it will be delayed.  Another is to keep asking who they are calling and they keep sidestepping the question.  I then tell them that the number they called is a private un listed number due to a stalking situation and these calls are being monitored and tracked.  There isusually a dead silence and if the person keeps talking I repeat it again.  I ask them if they know the terror of being stalked and threatened and start crying - then silence and hangups.  Then with the medicare calls I will tell them I don't know why they are calling me since I am only 52.  I do enjoy engaging and it keeps the line tied up so they can make less calls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch 

My scam calls about Publishers Clearing House come from Jamaica.  

The caller has always been a male with a strong voice like James Earl Jones.  When he tells me I won the giveaway, I say really? Again?  I tell him I've already won it 7x and don't have a dam thing to show for it.  He asks why.  I tell him that when he gets to the part in this scam where he says I need to pay a small fee of $$$ to process my winnings, I say screw you and hang up!  

I haven't won but once this year!