Honored Contributor

Re: Most Over Used Words Here and on Facebook

@BalletBabe wrote:

My neighbor named her son Diesel????  Seriously ???  I thought what will the next one be named  engine???

I just thought of a saying that is not x rated that I say a lot   "How Rude"

Better than naming him "Gas."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

What else should you use? I find people don't like it when you use the words haggard or adequate under their pics.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG   I would respond with " I mean your really getting on my nerves,  You know what I mean????

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

I use too much:  OMG

Others:  HTH/Hope this helps. Sounds so smug and trite to me - like "Have a Nice Day 😍" when you dislike someone.

Yikes!   That one sneaked up on me!   I use that all the time when I post things like tech help or answers to questions...   although I think of it as "hope that's helpful" with a smile and good wishes on my mind, and often I spell it out, and I always add a positive emoticon.   Ironically, I do that so the answer or advice doesn't come across in a negative way.    Never even occurred to me it would be interpreted as "smug," "trite," or anything of that nature.    Guess I'll have to rethink it.    Isn't it funny how differently we perceive things?   Always something worth thinking about, since the written word can be so limiting.

To answer @Sooner's question, though, no particular words here or on other social media come to mind that strike me as overused.   I suppose I think more about the person and their intent, especially if I know them well.    Our social media writing tends to be done quickly so we probably do get stuck in terminology ruts now and then.   I probably give people the benefit of the doubt.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

My neighbor named her son Diesel????  Seriously ???  I thought what will the next one be named  engine???

I just thought of a saying that is not x rated that I say a lot   "How Rude"

Better than naming him "Gas."

"Flatulence" sounds more melodic than "Gas".

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@straykatz wrote:

I over use OMG

@straykatz  Forgive me, but I just have to say that everytime I see your avatar, it just makes me giggle and have a big smile on my face...

So darn cute! Smiley Very Happy

I have to participate in the O/T (sorry, everyone)!   I agree, @Susan Louise!   I love that avatar, @straykatz!   Gives me a smile every time.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo - The thread title is OVERused. I do find HTH overused.  JMO. Like many other phrases it can sound trite  and insincere when overused. "Have a nice day" didn't start out to be a joke, but became one through overuse. That's the point of the thread - overuse.

I do often consider who said what - which is in part why the phrase has begun to strike me as it does - not always genuine or sincere. That would not be the case with your posts, but it does affect me that way many times when I see it online, not just on these forums.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo I don't think anyone thinks you're trying to be smug if/when you might say HTH.  You always do try to help. Smiley Happy  In fact HTH never really struck me that way at all.  

"Have a nice day", though, does seem to me to mean "I'm done with you. Get lost." when used by some.  Some who think everyone else is too dumb to know it lol.  (Oh, and I use LOL and smiley faces too much.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo - The thread title is OVERused. I do find HTH overused.  JMO. Like many other phrases it can sound trite  and insincere when overused. "Have a nice day" didn't start out to be a joke, but became one through overuse. That's the point of the thread - overuse.

I do often consider who said what - which is in part why the phrase has begun to strike me as it does - not always genuine or sincere. That would not be the case with your posts, but it does affect me that way many times when I see it online, not just on these forums.

@Moonchilde, thanks, and I think I see where you're coming from.   To the phrase "have a nice day," I'd add "bless your heart" and "with all due respect."    (I'm sure there are others that just don't come to mind right now.    Particularly in writing.    There was a time when I'd use all of those without thinking the recipient would "hear" sarcasm or insincerity...  I don't like or use sarcasm.   But I need to be aware not everyone knows that, nor should I expect that they do know.   Now, I usually tend to think it's better to justify myself if I use those phrases.    Communicating via writing can be a sticky wicket sometimes!🙃😄

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@dooBdoo I don't think anyone thinks you're trying to be smug if/when you might say HTH.  You always do try to help. Smiley Happy  In fact HTH never really struck me that way at all.  

"Have a nice day", though, does seem to me to mean "I'm done with you. Get lost." when used by some.  Some who think everyone else is too dumb to know it lol.  (Oh, and I use LOL and smiley faces too much.)

Thanks, @VanSleepy!   I appreciate that!Heart