Super Contributor

Re: Morgan Freeman, too? Harassment allegations.

I am getting tired of all these allegations of "harrassment" - to me, a child of the 50's, there is a BIG difference between sexual remarks (however inappropriate) and actual harrassment...

Yes, do some men make inappropriate remarks?  Yes! In fact I heard one just the other day that I thought was inappropriate from my boss directed at a beautiful young employee - my boss is a gentleman and I'm sure he didn't think before he spoke...when she looked surprised, he immediately apologized and said he did not mean any disrespect...

To me, harrassment is continuous behavior after being requested to cease or behavior that indicates accepting "advances" is a condition of employment...casual off color remarks, however rude or inappropriate is NOT harrassment, in my view.

Where is the line?  Frankly, I have had a very long business career and early on I learned to either ignore or laugh off remarks like they were a joke...it worked for me...

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

What are these ‘certain settings’ and 

actions which are ‘sometimes consensual in office settings?’

To me it means where trysts and "flirting" and affairs were common knowledge and took place rather casually and nobody complained.  It means offices where it was well known that having an affair would get you promoted and nobody complained or tried to do anything about it.

It's when behavior was accepted in offices 10 or 20 years ago and it was what it was and now people are coming back and pointing fingers and filing charges against people.  MOVE on.  

I am NOT talking about assault or criminal behavior.  I'm talking about places people worked where that was accepted practice.  And there were some places like that too. 

Trusted Contributor

@TY wrote:

I wonder how much Translink (this is a B.C. Canada crown corporation that runs the transit system including the buses and skytrains in the lower mainland area of Vancouver, B.C) paid to have Morgan Freeman do voiceovers announcing the skytrain transit stops? Now with the news of Morgan Freeman being accused of sexual harassment, Translink is dumping him as the voice of the transit system. He's done the voiceovers but it hasn't been implemented yet.

Well talk about a waste of taxpayer money -- couldn't Trankslink hire a local radio or tv personality to do voiceovers in the first place? I'm sure it would have cost a lot less money. What a bunch of boneheads feeding at the trough that run Trankslink!

They thought they were hiring the voice of God not a pervert. Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@moon_gazer wrote:

Well, how dissapointing this news is! I really like Morgan Freeman!Woman SadWoman Sad

I really like him too and was deeply saddened by the allegations.

@Lindsays Grandma

@moon_gazer

I think what many of us like about him are the roles he's played, not necessarily the man, who none of us know personally. Same with Bill Cosby. Who was more loveable than Cliff Huxtable, as a father, a husband and a doctor?

Who knows what these people do in their real lives when the cameras aren't rolling? They're people like the rest of us, only with more money and power.

A man is a man is a man...

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

This won't make me popular either but... I wonder why the "accusers" are immediately beieved without anyone looking into their backgrounds and the possibility of them also harrassing men.    Think about that for a minute.   Men harrass with their mouth and women with their bodies.    Same difference in my book as long as nothing criminal has happened.  Think I'll go hide now...

Honored Contributor

We have it on film.

In a room full of people.

With 2 people beside him.

Again...camera’s rolling.

“According to Melas, who was six months pregnant at the time, Freeman, in a room full of people, including his co-stars Arkin and Caine, shook Melas' hand, not letting go while repeatedly looking her up and down and saying more than once a variation of, "I wish I was there." She says he also said to her, "You are ripe." Cameras were on and recording during one of Freeman's remarks to Melas -- "Boy, do I wish I was there" -- but not for the rest.”

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

This won't make me popular either but... I wonder why the "accusers" are immediately beieved without anyone looking into their backgrounds and the possibility of them also harrassing men.    Think about that for a minute.   Men harrass with their mouth and women with their bodies.    Same difference in my book as long as nothing criminal has happened.  Think I'll go hide now...

@Junebug54, I'm not understanding either of these two clauses.

While it's true that men can be verbally abusive in a sexual way that could amount to harassment, almost all of what is being discussed these days are actions.

Women harass with their bodies? Perhaps you're talking about seductive clothing and flirting? I guess if were a continual problem at work, it could lead to reprimands or worse. But in general, sexy dressing and demeanor do not justify unwanted touching or worse. That's like saying that she deserved because she was wearing a short skirt.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

I am getting tired of all these allegations of "harrassment" - to me, a child of the 50's, there is a BIG difference between sexual remarks (however inappropriate) and actual harrassment...

Yes, do some men make inappropriate remarks?  Yes! In fact I heard one just the other day that I thought was inappropriate from my boss directed at a beautiful young employee - my boss is a gentleman and I'm sure he didn't think before he spoke...when she looked surprised, he immediately apologized and said he did not mean any disrespect...

To me, harrassment is continuous behavior after being requested to cease or behavior that indicates accepting "advances" is a condition of employment...casual off color remarks, however rude or inappropriate is NOT harrassment, in my view.

Where is the line?  Frankly, I have had a very long business career and early on I learned to either ignore or laugh off remarks like they were a joke...it worked for me...

@Sunnyfield First of all, read the article.  I have a hard time believing that anyone could read these numerous incidents and still come up with the conclusion that this kind of behavior is no big deal.  Second, I don’t care when you were born.  You have a responsibility as a human being to evolve and change with the times.  If you think it’s okay for any person of any sex to constantly make sexual comments and invade your private space on a daily basis in a professional work environment, then you have no idea what it means to be a professional.   There are plenty of things that were given a pass in the 50’s that are no longer acceptable in the 21st century.  At some point, everyone needs to grow up.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3  I agree if there was unwanted touching involved.     But yes I am saying that it goes both ways.    Not saying that a woman that dresses "suggesitvely" deserves to be touched..but... am saying that she is certainly wanting attention from the other sex.  

Trusted Contributor

For the record, there are actually women in this thread who believe that if a woman wears appropriate attire to function in a professional environment, they deserve to be harassed.  Read below.