Honored Contributor

Re: Morgan Freeman, too? Harassment allegations.

I find it interesting that Ashley Judd made a few movies with him and considered him a very close friend.  Considering what she went through with Weinstein, I'll be interested to hear what she has to say about Morgan now.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I remember my mother-in-law shared this with me thirty-five years ago - When and where she grew up, you had to be able to outrun males in your community, including relatives. No consequences for abusers. There was an expectation that family and personal secrets were kept. It's a brave, new world. I'm rarely surprised to hear random stories about abusers born before 1950. Wrong is wrong.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

Well, how dissapointing this news is! I really like Morgan Freeman!Woman SadWoman Sad

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Valued Contributor

Funny how it’s disappointing to find these things out about a celebrity we think we know.  All we really know is the image they’ve chosen to cultivate to show the public.  Most of us never heard of Harvey Weinstein until these allegations surfaced so it was easy to believe he’s a monster, but Bill Cosby and Morgan Freeman and Matt Lauer and others we thought we knew, well that is more difficult.  Some men begin behaving badly when they are young and if there are no consequences, they never change.  Bring on the consequences!

Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer, I agree.  I loved a lot of his movies. My two favorite are Shawshank Redemption and Kiss the Girls

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder how much Translink (this is a B.C. Canada crown corporation that runs the transit system including the buses and skytrains in the lower mainland area of Vancouver, B.C) paid to have Morgan Freeman do voiceovers announcing the skytrain transit stops? Now with the news of Morgan Freeman being accused of sexual harassment, Translink is dumping him as the voice of the transit system. He's done the voiceovers but it hasn't been implemented yet.

Well talk about a waste of taxpayer money -- couldn't Trankslink hire a local radio or tv personality to do voiceovers in the first place? I'm sure it would have cost a lot less money. What a bunch of boneheads feeding at the trough that run Trankslink!

Esteemed Contributor

I read that earlier today in the news and my first thought was...Not him too, I refuse to believe it.  I am a great admirer of Morgan Freeman and I don't want to believe the accusations, however, when it comes in numbers how can you deny it.  I will wait to see what happens and in the meantime keep hoping none of it is true.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

Well, how dissapointing this news is! I really like Morgan Freeman!Woman SadWoman Sad

I really like him too and was deeply saddened by the allegations.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

One of our clients that used to come into my work looked very much like Morgan Freeman, but in a raggedy, homeless sort of way.  He was very forward with the ladies in my office and we all felt creeped out when he came in.  

Esteemed Contributor

Apparently Translink didn't have to pay for the voiceovers by Freeman. It was gratis because of a Translink deal with Visa as that credit card is supposed to be added to a payment system to ride the transit line in Vancouver. But Freeman will no longer be the voice of Skytrain.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/new-voice-of-translink-morgan-freeman-facing-allegations-of-...

I guess when you choose a celebrity to front your advertising campaign, it comes with risks if the celeb misbehaves and acts in a demeaning manner.