Esteemed Contributor

Re: More on bedbugs: make sure to check library books for them before checking them out

Yikes! I never thought about that, I never thought about that! Love getting books from library.

Regular Contributor

Re: More on bedbugs: make sure to check library books for them before checking them out

OH wow no one would have ever thought of that!!  Thank you for sharing!

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HouseMouse, I never thought of it myself until I actually found them in library books that I'd brought home.

After the 1st treatment, I was supposed to watch my furniture for 10 days, because the 1st treatment doesn't  always work. On the 8th day, I started seeing a few bedbugs again. I called the same company to set up an appointment for another treatment, they told me take an expired charge card or an empty gift card & use the edge of it to scrape any bedbugs that I saw into an empty container that I had. ( I used an empty pharmacy pill bottle that I had)

The 2nd treatment didn't work, told to do the same thing so the tech sent out could confirm that the bugs were indeed bedbugs. The 3rd treatment finally worked but ONLY because I got fed up with seeing the bugs & being constantly bitten by them. (I thought I had hives that wouldn't go away, they were bedbug bites. I found this out when they were finally gone & I no longer got  "hives."

It turned out the idiot company that came out didn't vacuum the bedbug eggs off of my furniture, so naturally more kept hatching. I got my vacuum out, gave the affected furniture a good vacuuming, then I took my handy, dandy steamer, flipped my sofas over, pulled the mattress etc off of my bed & steamed my furniture until it was damp. After that I called the company again, this time, the treatment worked. I haven't seen any since last year.

Because of this, I got very familiar with what the bedbugs looked like at different stages of development. That helped me immediately recognize the unexpected, uninvited, unwanted guests that came home with me in the library books.

Respected Contributor

I love rummaging through garage sales & thrift stores.  The one thing I never buy is a piece of furniture.  You just don't know if there were creepy critters in the previous home.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@pommom wrote:

I love rummaging through garage sales & thrift stores.  The one thing I never buy is a piece of furniture.  You just don't know if there were creepy critters in the previous home.

I too have heard that used furniture can harbor bed bugs, especially wood pieces.  Until then I liked to browse antique malls for accent tables.  Not any more.

Frequent Contributor

Ick!!! Never thought about library books. Thanks @sgraham30.