Trusted Contributor

More on bedbugs: make sure to check library books for them before checking them out

[ Edited ]

I had bedbugs last May, no clue where they were picked up & brought home from or who brought them in. It took 3 treatments, nearly a month & $700 to get rid of the dang things. Thankfully, I haven't had a return visit from the ugly things.

Anyone who brings home actual library BOOKS might want to start flipping through the books before they check them out.  I got very familiar with what different stages of the bedbugs looked like & 2 or 3 times,  I found baby ones in library books that I'd just brought home. I knew what they were so I killed them immediately. I learned a lot more about those things than I ever had any desire to.

Now I stick mostly to e-books from the library & from Prime Reading. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: More on bedbugs: make sure to check library books for them before checking them out

GROSS! You never know what you could be bringing home with you!

Honored Contributor

Re: More on bedbugs: make sure to check library books for them before checking them out

I've always skeeved library books, imo they have a certain ick factor and this just made it worse.

Honored Contributor

Horrors!!!

This reminds me that I stopped to chat with a neighbor who was getting his house tented for termites.  He said that he and his wife used to save cardboard boxes so they always had one available when they needed to ship something.

I used to do the same thing.  Stopped when he said there were termites in one of his boxes and they got into the walls.

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I agree about skeeving library books..people read them in the bathroom....ewwwww....DW 

Honored Contributor

Not only books but many other things you might buy as 'used' ...like maybe stuff from thrift stores or yard sales. Clothes, furniture...you name it. They can live and do live just about anywhere. 

Esteemed Contributor

......................shiver..........................Woman Surprised

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There was a house in my neighborhood that looked similar to this with a tent enclosing the entire house. It was being fumigated to kill bedbugs and roaches. The people who lived there could not come back for several months and everything in their house, including clothes, furniture, appliances...everything!!...had to be placed in a huge, sealed box with extreme cold refrigeration to kill the bugs. After it was all over, there was still no guarantee that they wouldn't be back.

images.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry you had to deal with this problem & out so much money for it.

If they are in library books & cardboard boxes they must like the glue.

My dad told me a long time ago not to store cardboard boxes in the attic because the bugs liked the glue. We have never had any type of pest problem.

Respected Contributor

I heard on the news a week or so ago about a lady in Phoenix, AZ who was bitten by bedbugs in the seats at a movie theater.