Respected Contributor

Re: More on Credit Breach Protection

thanks.... also read other topic on freezing has more links

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Venezia When someone used my Discover card they would not tell me the persons name. They told me I had to get a court order if I wanted that info. They asked why I wanted it. LOL!!! I said so I can knock them over the head with a baseball bat & the guy said well I don't know about that???

I was a little shocked when I received an almost $2000 statement. DH asked how much should it be & I said about $50. 

Now when it happens I pretty much know it rather quickly since I check my accounts online several times per week.

What makes me mad is these people get away with it so they keep doing it.

I asked Discover how it all worked. I was told since I had my card & the person using it to shop online did not have the card that the retailers would be the ones out the money not Discover. He said each retailer would have to go after the thief to get their money back. He said they just don't do that for these amounts because it's not worth it. They knew who was using my card because the moron ordered business cards & paid an electric bill with it.

The thief also used my card to eat at restaurants so someone working in these places was in on it with this guy. I don't think a restaurant is going to process a charge for dinner to a credit card if you don't have the credit card with you.

@Nightowlz OMG OMG! WHAT that is terrible

Now I am confused about all this...my husband went online I guess to that link where you check to see if you are listed and he said yes he was...so he signed up for this 1yr monitoring thing.  Then he told me I should check to see if I am listed too and do the same.  I haven't yet BUT this thread is saying that is all a ruse too? and we probably aren't affected or could be but that link to check is garbage??

Do I have this correctly??  

Where or how do we check to see if these people have our information??

@tsavorite I think the link they set up has also been hacked.

I read on ZDNet yesterday that the site is not working properly & is best to go to all 4 credit agencies to put a freeze on your account. I also read that since hackers have hacked Equifax that if you go to their site online to enter your info to freeze your account that the hackers are getting this info. It's confusing. How can we put a freeze on it if it's not safe to do so?

From what I read on ZDNet there is no way to find out if you are affected or not because they don't think Equifax even knows.

I want to put a freeze on all of ours but don't know how to deal with freezing at Equifax?

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@tsavorite, the Equifax link is the only place you can supposedly find out if you have been affected. When I logged in last week, I was given the message you are "probably affected."

I don't care if they are lying or not, or even if I haven't been affected. I decided it's time for me to take action and protect myself.... and so I have taken every measure possible to do so.

All the news reports I am now listening to are saying that every adult consumer should assume they have been affected and take immediate action.

Each person has to make that decision for themselves.

I highly recommend you read the articles I provided links for in the OP. It has a lot of important and useful information.

@SaRina The site to check to see if you have been affected has been hacked. It's not working properly. It keeps giving out incorrect info. From what I read on ZDNet there is no way of finding out for sure if you have been affected or not. They said Equifax does not even know. I'm going to put a freeze on all ours thru the credit reporting agencies but don't know how to freeze the one with Equifax if their site is not safe. I guess I will be chargeda $15 fee from each to freeze. I don't really want to pay that but it's better to be safe then sorry down the road.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

thanks.... also read other topic on freezing has more links

@tsavorite That's what I'm going to do. Like I said in my other reply I don't know how to freeze the one with Equifax if their site is not safe???

Respected Contributor

DH just mentioned that the hackers will probably now go after all the frozen accounts (NOTHING is SAFE!) because those are the people who have something to loo$e! The hackers will key in on them! Freeze everything and check your cards weekly for ? charges. Look for small ones (like ones under $1) Cons  try small ones first on lots of accounts to see who notices! Thousands of people don't......don't be one of them. Why has congress been so darn SILENT on this? I wonder.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

DH just mentioned that the hackers will probably now go after all the frozen accounts (NOTHING is SAFE!) because those are the people who have something to loo$e! The hackers will key in on them! Freeze everything and check your cards weekly for ? charges. Look for small ones (like ones under $1) Cons  try small ones first on lots of accounts to see who notices! Thousands of people don't......don't be one of them. Why has congress been so darn SILENT on this? I wonder.

@silkyk Yes. Visa just called me the other day when someone in MD tried to use my card. It was for .98¢. Visa did not ok the charge. They knew what was going on. Glad they are on their toes. I had just checked the day before & there was nothing going on. I will catch it fast as I check my accounts several times per week.

I doubt the hackers will go after the ones that put a freeze on their accounts. That makes it harder for them to get a loan, get a credit card etc. They will go after what's easier for them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@tsavorite, the Equifax link is the only place you can supposedly find out if you have been affected. When I logged in last week, I was given the message you are "probably affected."

I don't care if they are lying or not, or even if I haven't been affected. I decided it's time for me to take action and protect myself.... and so I have taken every measure possible to do so.

All the news reports I am now listening to are saying that every adult consumer should assume they have been affected and take immediate action.

I highly recommend you read the articles I provided links for in the OP. It has a lot of important and useful information.

@SaRina The site to check to see if you have been affected has been hacked. It's not working properly. It keeps giving out incorrect info. From what I read on ZDNet there is no way of finding out for sure if you have been affected or not. They said Equifax does not even know. I'm going to put a freeze on all ours thru the credit reporting agencies but don't know how to freeze the one with Equifax if their site is not safe. I guess I will be chargeda $15 fee from each to freeze. I don't really want to pay that but it's better to be safe then sorry down the road.

@Nightowlz,

There may be things still going on that I don't know about or that I do not understand.... and I am still seeing a lot of panic and confusion in these threads. Regardless, at this point, I don't really care if I know if I was impacted or not. I have decided, based upon my research, that the safest thing to do is to freeze my credit files at the 4 credit agencies. I did this by phone a few days ago. With freezes in place, thieves cannot take out new lines of credit in my name. Other than that, all I can do is keep close watch on my financial accounts. 

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@Nightowlz,

There may be things still going on that I don't know about or that I do not understand.... and I am still seeing a lot of panic and confusion in these threads. Regardless, at this point, I don't really care if I know if I was impacted or not. I have decided, based upon my research, that the safest thing to do is to freeze my credit files at the 4 credit agencies. I did this by phone a few days ago. With freezes in place, thieves cannot take out new lines of credit in my name. Other than that, all I can do is keep close watch on my financial accounts. 

@SaRina That's what I need to do. I was going to do it online but maybe I should do over the phone.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Lipstickdiva Have not put freeze on our accounts yet.

I have never had any problems with my debit card. We only use it here in town. Never have used it while on vacation, out of town or online.

We have never even looked at our credit report. I don't even know what one looks like. I figure if there is a problem we would know about it. Guess I should go to annualcreditreport & get one. I just don't like the idea of enterning ss # on the internet even though I did it the past 2 yrs for our taxes.

Definitely get your credit report. You would be surprised about any errors -- get a credit report from one company now; wait 4 months and request from another credit reporting company and 4 months after that, get the report from the 3rd company.

Repeat again in 4 months with the 1st company.

The websites are encrypted like the IRS and credit reporting agencies. 

Never use your debit debit as a credit card. 

Excellent article about where NOT to use a debit card: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/10-places-not-to-use-debit-card-1271.php

When my Dad died, I being the executor requested his credit reports and had to make corrections on at least 2 of the credit reporting agencie's info. One company has an address where he never lived! Some other minor things and the companies are good at getting back to you showing you the corrections were made.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Lipstickdiva Have not put freeze on our accounts yet.

I have never had any problems with my debit card. We only use it here in town. Never have used it while on vacation, out of town or online.

We have never even looked at our credit report. I don't even know what one looks like. I figure if there is a problem we would know about it. Guess I should go to annualcreditreport & get one. I just don't like the idea of enterning ss # on the internet even though I did it the past 2 yrs for our taxes.

Definitely get your credit report. You would be surprised about any errors -- get a credit report from one company now; wait 4 months and request from another credit reporting company and 4 months after that, get the report from the 3rd company.

Repeat again in 4 months with the 1st company.

The websites are encrypted like the IRS and credit reporting agencies. 

Never use your debit debit as a credit card. 

Excellent article about where NOT to use a debit card: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/10-places-not-to-use-debit-card-1271.php

When my Dad died, I being the executor requested his credit reports and had to make corrections on at least 2 of the credit reporting agencie's info. One company has an address where he never lived! Some other minor things and the companies are good at getting back to you showing you the corrections were made.

@JustJazzmom Never thought about doing it every quarter. Can you get a free report from each place once per year? If you cannot how much do they charge to do it? I have never seen one so don't have a clue what's on it. I know I can use annualcreditreport.com