Trusted Contributor

More family drama-What do I do about my parents going through my room and throwing away a $100 gift certificate?

Last week I posted about how my parents wanted to use gasoline to light a log in the fireplace in order to save money on the heat. YEAH. I know. I sleep in the basement where the chimney is and while i was at work, they moved my belongings to the other side of the room without my permission. I had a pile of clippings from magazines that I had cut out with nutrition tips (my friend gave me a gym membership for XMAS) and in that pile was a 100 dollar gift certificate for a hair salon given to me by another friend for my bday. My parents threw EVERYTHING in that pile out without asking me! I told my mother this morning and she was unsympathetic (as always). I am 26 and have had a hard time with money-I have 2 part-time jobs and am trying desperately to move out. I pay them rent every month and am truly a good daughter. What do I do about this?

BTW I called the hair salon and they said that they will let me know next week whether I can still redeem the gift certificate even if it was thrown out.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.