Esteemed Contributor

Re: More confirmed virus in Georgia, advice to stay home

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Here in Wisconsin, the warmer weather has led to my husband and I picking up fallen twigs on our lawn.  It is nice to go outside to get some exercise in the spring.

I've been spending more time outside walking my dogs the last few days too. It does feel so good to be outside with the sunshine, even if it is a little chilly in the mornings.

Tomorrow it's suppore to start raining for several days, unfortunately.

Respected Contributor

This is what I find disturbing about the many, many discussions on this topic here - incomplete and/or inaccurate  information. 

The thread title says “advice to stay home”. But that’s not what was said. People were told to stay home IF THEY ARE SiCK. That changes the message completely. 

Its like the multiple posts claiming that the CDC or “public health officials” are telling people not to travel. That’s not true. They’ve advised people to avoid level 3 and level 2 countries unless absolutely necessary, advised people to avoid cruise ships, and advised caution for people who are at risk.  That’s far from saying “don’t travel”. 

Facts, and having COMPLETE, ACCURATE  information matter. Half truths and interpretations that change the message need to stop. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My original post accurately quoted the Governor as saying "if you're sick, stay home".

Sorry the subject line was not long enough to add the word "sick".  

I hope no one is accusing me of spreading inaccurate information. 

CNBC network's website has excellent information about what's going on when it comes this worldwide problem.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/dr-marty-makary-on-coronavirus-wuhan-could-happen-here.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/many-americans-will-be-exposed-to-coronavirus-through-2021-cdc-says....

Respected Contributor

Meanwhile, here's a report from CNBC that quotes advice from the CDC.

Many Americans will be exposed to COVID-19 over the next year or so with many people in the U.S. getting sick, a top CDC official said Monday, recommending that people over 60 and anyone with chronic medical conditions buckle down for a lengthy stay home.

“This virus is capable of spreading easily and sustainably from person to person ... and there’s essentially no immunity against this virus in the population,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call, citing World Health Organization data that studied more than 70,000 cases in China.

“It’s fair to say that, as the trajectory of the outbreak continues, many people in the United States will at some point in time, either this year or next, be exposed to this virus and there’s a good chance many will become sick,” she said. Most people won’t develop serious symptoms, but 15% to 20% of the people who are exposed to the virus get severely sick, she said.
Of the 70,000 cases WHO scientists looked at, only about 2% were in people younger than 19. The odds of developing COVID-19 increase with age, starting at age 60. It’s especially lethal for people over 80.

“This seems to be a disease that affects adults and most seriously older adults,” she said. “Starting at age 60, there is an increasing risk of disease and the risk increases with age.”
People with diabetes, heart disease, lung disease and other serious underlying conditions are more likely to develop “serious outcomes, including death,” she said.

The CDC is recommending people with underlying conditions or who are over 60 to stock up on medications, household items and groceries to stay at home “for a period of time,” she said. The U.S. government recommended travelers with underlying health conditions avoid taking any cruises anywhere in the world. “We also recommend people at higher risk avoid non-essential travel, such as long plane trips,” she said

Honored Contributor

Vanderbilt University in TN is canceling classes through the end of the month because so many students have traveled all over during Spring break. And many Williamson County (which is where many of the fancier Nashville people live) schools are closed because a parent tested positive for the virus.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Vanderbilt University in TN is canceling classes through the end of the month because so many students have traveled all over during Spring break. And many Williamson County (which is where many of the fancier Nashville people live) schools are closed because a parent tested positive for the virus.

Hahaha ... you mean the rich people @Porcelain .  Also, the private school his child attended has cancelled classes and I believe the high school next to it.  

We shop at the Sams club there and it's a whole different set of shoppers.  I get a kick out of it.  Of course, now all those people are raiding our stores because they have panicked and bought out theirs.  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

We haven't changed our routine. I still volunteer, DH is golfing this morning. I'm in my yard every day. I refuse to spend every waking hour watching the non stop coverage on cable news.

Spring break has started here, so the kids are outside enjoying the warm weather.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Preds wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Hahaha ... you mean the rich people @Porcelain .  Also, the private school his child attended has cancelled classes and I believe the high school next to it.  

We shop at the Sams club there and it's a whole different set of shoppers.  I get a kick out of it.  Of course, now all those people are raiding our stores because they have panicked and bought out theirs.  

I shop the Franklin Whole Foods and the old Franklin Downtown shopping district. And of course gotta love the Franklin Martins Barbecue!

Edited to add: I'll have to try Nooley's. Even if it isn't as good as the original. Love real Cajun food. Adding to my list. I Googled and it iooks like it's by the Farmers Market area? Even better. Something new to try when it gets warmer.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Preds wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I shop the Franklin Whole Foods and the old Franklin Downtown shopping district. And of course gotta love the Franklin Martins Barbecue!

I miss Nooleys.  Not sure of the spelling but loved their sammies.  Went to the one downtown, but it just isn't the same.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."