Honored Contributor

Re: More college admission scams

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

j@lovesrecess @......sometimes I feel that more people could be better off if they managed their finances with a sharper pencil.We were careful with our finances and saved to help our son attend college..we rarely ate out,bought fewer clothes,I had no fancy cosmetics or bath products,had such old electronics that thieves didn’t want them and yet our son was able to play all of the sports he was interested in and we had our home paid off early and money saved for college.My dh was a police officer and I was a cashier at a grocery store.We built our home with help from my dad on our days off and used dh paycheck to buy materials.We lived on my paycheck which didn’t allow for much.We had no credit cards which I think now was probably a blessing.

Anyhow I think it isn’t right to take something you don’t need away from those who do.When our son graduated college and couldn’t get work for the first six months he asked me if he should apply for assistance.We told him that he is our son to care for and he could move home until he found work.

Just as we posters have talked about in the past not everyone living in those mansions has the money to buy their own groceries..sometimes their lives are just an inch from going off the edge.

My aunt joked (but was serious) when my cousin graduated from Texas A&M that now she could finally go buy some new panties.  Which she did. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why should this be any surprise.  Parents have tried all kinds of things over the years around the DC area.  Some parents living in DC wanted their kids in better schools in MD or VA so they used phoney addresses in MD or VA and got away with it for years.  DC schools were pretty lousy and any place other than DC for school was better. They just drove their kids to school or dropped them at bus stop areas. Eventually it was found out and corrected....

Super Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@RetRN   NO!!  The rich don't get richer because they are poor role models or because they lack honesty and humility.  People work hard for every dime they make and no one should begrudge their accomplishments or make nasty insinuations about how they accomplished what the did.

cats01, I  agree with you  completely.  However, technically, if they didn't pay for their kids tuition themselves, that's more money in their pockets.  They also did take away money that could have gone to truly needly students. 

Honored Contributor

I'm trying to figure out how the kids were able to declare being an independent at 18 because the number of hoops you have to jump through and documents to have to provide to prove it is amazing. VERY different now then when I went to college (and was 18 and WAS living on my own).  There had to be employees at the college level working with families for this to work....unless the state of Illinois follows a different set of laws than other states.

Honored Contributor

Says they are investigating 48 cases right now.....it’s being covered now on most of the news channels.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess 

This is being done by some middle income families also. Not poor enough to receive any grant's or aid, but income too high to get assistance. That leaves grants etc.open primarily to those in lower income, where it should be.

I am not one to speak about college educations as I see as much, even possibly more, success for those going into Skilled Trades as a Profession. Always hear "saving for our kids college", but rarely "saving for our kids Trade School".

Just pointing out that this scam is not only being done by the very wealthy, but also parents that fall into the "tween category". Every parent wants their kids to succeed and many, unfortunately, will take advantage of what I will refer to as "loopholes", to possibly help their kids succeed.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This is why so many are for school vouchers. If enough parents remove their kids from terrible schools, the tax dollars leave also....but it will force the local schools to clean up their acts to keep those students in their schools. One of my daughters went to jr high with a girl who became a good friend...I gave her a ride home a few times and was amazed to see how far away she lived from school....she was even in another school district! Mansion. Father chief of staff at a big hospital. How they managed to get her into my daughter’s public school I will never know.
Esteemed Contributor

People have lied and cheated on just about everything for eons.

And people will continue to lie and cheat, because even though it's not spoken, and many won't admit to it, we live in a "get-ahead-at-any-cost" world.

Almost every person has at least once in their life has said, or at least thought, "If I knew that I wouldn't get caught, I'd do X".

I know that I have.

So this "scandal", doesn't surprise me, not in the least.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

You are probably right...Mike Row was on the other day and I really like the way he is promoting trade schools. Some trades are becoming a lost art...and they won’t be taught in a liberal arts school! The pressure to attend a four year college starts when kids are young now...and parents seem almost desperate to make it happen...especially those who do fall into the middle income bracket...or the “ working poor” also.
Honored Contributor

I was brought up to do the right thing, even if no one is watching...too bad that seems to be an outdated idea now,