Honored Contributor

Re: More and more are going hungry

@jeanlake wrote:

@Cakers3 Agree with your comments. Also ... the phrase, 'To whom much is given, much is expected.' It's not about guilt but we'll truly never know what's expected of us. But I know when I get lazy, or don't pay attention, my generosity is the first thing to slip.  

@jeanlake

We do not need to know what is expected of us if we recognize the humanity of all people; and that will always depend upon how we view ourselves.

You may feel lazy, you may not always pay attention, but at some point there is that gentle nudge to awaken you back to the task-and if you can recognize that gentle nudge then that is all that will matter.

A gentle nudge-either from above, from our own internal watch, from a post, from seeing a homeless person-whatever and whenever.   It is the recognition that matters and the action that will follow. 

Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@northiie57 

Maybe my post will bring a smile to your face.

I know someone who works for the largest wholesale grocery retailer in the U.S. and they donate “damaged” food, pet food and supplies. Not just a little but billions of dollars yearly. 

When I wrote damaged, it’s still in perfect condition. A case breaks open or a pallet of product falls from a forklift.

They have warehouses all over the U.S.

They don’t post on Facebook or social media. The corporation just takes action. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I donated the stimulus money we got many months ago to a fund that Google seeded for $250,000 to help the small businesses  in our city. 

I know our local food bank is only taking money - they don't want food donations because of Covoid.  

I think I am going to donate to World Central Kitchen.  I think Jose Andres is doing amazing work.    

Good choice!  I hope the whole world knows about Chef Jose Andres and all the good he has done and continues to do!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I donated the stimulus money we got many months ago to a fund that Google seeded for $250,000 to help the small businesses  in our city. 

I know our local food bank is only taking money - they don't want food donations because of Covoid.  

I think I am going to donate to World Central Kitchen.  I think Jose Andres is doing amazing work.    

Good choice!  I hope the whole world knows about Chef Jose Andres and all the good he has done and continues to do!  Heart

@chickenbutt @DiAnne  I agree Jose is an amazing man and chef. Kudos to him for the work he is doing.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

We don't get it because we're not living hand to mouth. The reason people are food insecure is because if you don't pay your rent, the landlord comes after you. If you don't pay your electric bill, the electric company comes after you. The lights go out and your kids can't see to do their homework.

But if you don't buy food, no one comes after you. And if all the money is already spent trying to keep a roof over everyone's heads and the lights on, there's often not enough to buy enough food at the very end of the paycheck. We are talking about the working poor here. Too much week at the end of the paycheck. So no money to buy food until the next payday. (Edited to add: or unemployment check, which is even worse.)

No we are not just talking about the working poor.  The increase is largely due to people NOT being able to work.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think there are more charities for dogs than people. 

It is interesting that those animal charities are constantly running ads on TV - while local food banks aren't.  And the ads aren't inexpensive.  Wonder if they are like those "Foundations" run by some of our leaders who spend all the money on salaries, and perks - and very little if any on the stated need.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

It is only a few cents, but I have noticed that alot of stores/restaurants will ask if I want to "round up" for a specific charity.  I noticed this increase a few months ago when we were having the change shortage, and they are continuing.  It's a great idea. 

@Peaches McPhee 

So many people on these forums have complained about the 'round up' and other charity requests made at the cash registers. 

I have to agree with you. I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Throwing my change every visit at McDonalds, into the Ronald McDonald house bin outside the drive through window, rounding up at the grocery store every visit to support the food pantry, being asked at Sam's Club to donate to the Children's Miracle Network, and other worthy causes makes my heart sing.

It's only some change, or a dollar donation. But coupled with millions of other people over the course of a year, adds up to so much help for so many people. 

Sure we can (and do) give in other, bigger ways, and that is great. But to be able to give a tiny bit, many times, have it made easy and available, and not have to seek it out, is to me easy, smart, way more helpful when combined with others same few cents, and adds up to millions of dollars a year. 

Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I’m a volunteer at a local food bank, and here is a thought about donating food from the grocery store. People tend to buy a variety of products but it can be really helpful to buy multiples of just one or two things such as peanut butter, tuna or cereal. It’s quicker for workers to put away and also quicker to check expiration dates. Of course, all food is welcome and I have certainly donated a variety after going through my cupboards 🙂.

@tucsongal 

Thanks for this 'inside' tip. And it does make sense!

Something else I do when donating is to donate things that 'go together'. I figure that if the food pantry only has peanut butter but no jelly, that doesn't give the recipients much variety or choice. If I donate pasta, I donate sauce. If I donate tuna, I donate noodles and cream of mushroom soup to make a casserole. If I donate soup, I donate crackers too.

I certainly understand the things I donate together will most likely get separated, but if the pantry is low on goods, they or the recipient can look and find things that 'go together' and make what they receive able to go further in making a complete meal, or a complete recipe. 

Honored Contributor

@Reconnaissant wrote:

@northiie57 

Maybe my post will bring a smile to your face.

I know someone who works for the largest wholesale grocery retailer in the U.S. and they donate “damaged” food, pet food and supplies. Not just a little but billions of dollars yearly. 

When I wrote damaged, it’s still in perfect condition. A case breaks open or a pallet of product falls from a forklift.

They have warehouses all over the U.S.

They don’t post on Facebook or social media. The corporation just takes action. 

Things like this are definitely happening from many suppliers and retailers all over the nation, they just don't get a lot of press for it (some don't really want the press for it either). 

I certainly won't discount the need out there and how it has increased with covid and job losses, and the long lines seen in some areas. But there is still many food distribution programs that are begging people to come and take food, so they can keep getting and qualifying for more. 

I think much depends on where you live. Bigger cities have more resources, while many of the rural areas have much fewer resources for those in need. 

Many people are very giving this time of year, but I worry as winter drags on, and if the virus continues to spike, closures continue to rise, that fewer people will be donating and an already dire situation for many people in many places will get even worse. 

I saw a number of news reports about states stocking up this summer, huge warehouses full of pallets of food. Hopefully those will last the winter, and until the employment situation improves.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.