Honored Contributor

Re: More about Christmas shopping

@petepetey  My large family used to draw names for gifts, but that was too much for me.     I would always get a family member  ( in-law) that I didn't know what to get for them.  So then we started to write down ideas and things we wanted.

I never could  think of anything I wanted and it just seemed nutty to spend money for something that someone could buy for themselves and receive something I could buy for myself if I wanted it.

So, one year I asked  not to participate.  At that moment, other family members said they wanted out too, so we no longer do that.

It is freeing to just show up for a family Christmas gathering with my bag of candy for the kids and no other gifts.  Everyone seems happier and it eases some stress around the holidays.  

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Our Christmas celebration (no younger childen) has taken on a deeper meaning since we eliminated the gift-giving tradition.  After attending church service, we adjourn to a sibling's home to remember loved ones who have passed, enjoy a homemade buffet, reflect upon the past year, and express our love for each other.  

This is BEAUTIFUL!  Brings tears to my eyes....how wonderful!! 

Respected Contributor

@happycat  Make 1 gift to a local food pantry or to a children's hospital in ALL their names.  Have the charity send an acknowledgment card to their parents.  Problem solved, displays of ingratitude avoided, and good done for a worthy cause.  Merry Christmas!!!

Honored Contributor

@happycat....I get it.  We have a small family two daughters, 3 grandkids and 2 great...the great grand kids are under 4.  The grand children are older 17 and 29 the other is 10 and living across the country.

The issue is the kids that live near us....we send birthday money, never get a thank you. We have decided we are pretty much done with sending birthday money, except to the little ones. 

Christmas, I host an evening shortly before the 25th....the oldest gd is married with two children.....the middle gd comes with her mom.....the evening is not all that enjoyable, they don't know how to carry on a converstion....I feel like I am playing 20 questions all evening, I ask, they answer..next question...get my point??  

As far as gift giving, I enjoy shopping but I make sure I have a good list, especially for the 17 year old girl, I bought from the list, so she should be happy, but I may not know it because she is very, very quiet.  My married gd, is easy...but I get your point of just not being into it...I do think part of it is kids have so much 'stuff' that is expected to give gifts at Christmas but the 'getting' is not as special as it used to be......we did spend less this year, and we do not give to anyone out side our immediate family.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

With my nieces and nephew, I stopped when they graduated from HS.

Now I have great nieces and nephews and it's a struggle every year.   We don't live close to them so I don't know what they have and don't have.  Nor, what they like and don't like.   I hate asking my nieces because they have enough on their plates deciding what to get them.   They are ages 3-10 .   

I usually research and ask around and send my nieces a few links from Amazon and then get something.   But I think for the 6,7 and 10 year olds I'm going to start sending gift cards or cash.   I'll get the 3 year old something tangible.  

I understand what others are saying.  It is hard trying to get what they want.   

Plus they get sooooo much from parents, friends, other relatives.  Two years ago my niece had to rent an SUV to get everything home from xmas with her inlaws.  This was in addition to filling up their SUV.  Kids don't need all of that.

Respected Contributor

I have one niece, she'll probably be my only one (thank goodness Smiley Wink) and she's four. She lives a few minutes away from me and I see her regularly. I asked her what she wanted. A baby doll, a Barbie dreamhouse, and some movies. She has so many dolls and toys my brother and SIL didn't want anymore for Christmas. But my mom and stepdad did buy her the dreamhouse, and her parents were okay with that because that was her top gift on her list and she has Barbies already.

They moved into a new house last month so I got her items to decorate her room with. She's in a princess/unicorn phase so I got her a unicorn throw blanket, a unicorn lamp, a unicorn hamper/storage tote. I also got her some Barbie movies that were on sale, and she's allowed to wear nail polish and lip balm, so I bought some of that at Five Below and put it in a pink stocking with a unicorn on it. I also bought her two dresses and a pair of leggings because that's what she wears everyday.

When she gets into her preteen/teen phase it will be a gift card or cash so she can buy what she wants, and that will make my shopping a lot easier.