Esteemed Contributor

More about Christmas shopping

We have 8 neices and nephews. Three are older, we give them cash, they are appreciative, no problem there.  

There are 5 kids to buy presents for, plus my two kids and my sons wife. My son, his wife, my daughter, I love giving cash and they enjoy that too, and we do buy them small things. They are not the issue.

I'm just not in the mood to buy presents this year for neices and nephews. I've gone shopping a few times and just feel overwheled. I told dh I was thinking of just giving all the kids cash. He thinks we should buy the younger ones presents and says he will go with me next week to get it taken care of. Its not the money, its the time and the fact that some of these kids are not grateful for anything. I have bought a couple of my nephews things their parents told me they wanted in the past, and when they opened the gifts they openly griped about the gifts and the parents said nothing to them about it. So, we are spending less this year on those little darlings, whether dh likes it or not.

Is anyone else just burned out.

Momma told me earlier, kids now get stuff all year long, whether there in an occaision or not, that Christmas has changed. And I think she is right.

The only presents I have bought are for my grand pups.

Anyone else feeling burned out before you even started?

Trusted Contributor

Re: More about Christmas shopping

I know what you mean about the neices and nephews.   I give cash and gift cards.  It's hard to buy presents when they already have everything !

Honored Contributor

@happycat

Can you ask the parents for an Amazon wishlist?  Then they can still have a "gift", but one of their choosing and you can ship it directly to them if you want.  

Honored Contributor

My niece and nephew are the same way.  They are in their late teens now, but it started when they were around 8.  I bought them pricy gifts that I thought they'd really like.  I'd see the gifts thrown around and broken or left in the rain.  I then decided to give then dollar bills.  One for every year old they were.  

I have an idea.  What about taking them to the movies or somewhere like chucky cheese or the zoo.  Have a day of time spent together versus stuff.

Honored Contributor

I so agree that kids today especially with parents at a certain income level are treated all year long. 

I cut back myself a few years ago when the kids just opened one package after another and didn't even stop to see what they got.  They had too much and I did my part to bring it down.  I spend more on their birthday gift now and Christmas is just half of that. 

They haven't noticed the change.  Kids today prefer cash so I'm with you.  And if your husband wants to do gifts, hand him the cash and let him have at it.  He'll learn.  Smiley Wink

Merry Christmas!    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have finished my Christmas shopping for the year but I understand your sentiment. My niece and nephew 25 and 19, are the only two kids from my side of the family. Christmas for them when they were younger was just ridiculous. I use to make a point of purchasing them 5 gifts a piece. One year, I noticed as they were opening their gifts in an assembly like manner,  literally looking at the gift briefly and then moving on to the next.  They were not appreciative. I immediately changed how I gave them future gifts.

Fast forward to this year, my niece had a birthday a few months ago. My brother and SIL gave her $50.00 for each year of her life. My brother's birthday comes along the following month. She did not even purchase my brother a birthday card, let alone a gift. She did at least call him. I called her to ask her what was up, and she tells me how busy she has been. She will make time to go spend time with her Dad. As if no one else is busy. BTW, she never made the time. 

My nephew, who is in the service but stationed in the states, did not even call or text my brother or his mother (SIL) for her birthday. My brother has had it. He does not understand how he has managed to raise such ungrateful children. He has put his foot down with my SIL, and he refuses to purchase or give them anything for Christmas. 

They usually get cash from me, and one gift. This year, no cash.   I purchased one sheet set for my nice, and my nephew who I was tempted to purchase nothing at all one small gift card. 

We were loved growing up, but our family struggled. The same with my SIL's family. We tried to give them everything within reason, and it has truly backfired. Are they bad kids? Absolutely not. Somewhere along the way they have just grown up to be inconsiderate. Which seems to be something that most kids and young adults suffer from nowadays. 

Honored Contributor

Happycar01

Oh, I know how you feel. My husband's side of the family - there are 10 nieces and nephews. And we also got to the point that we just give money.

What made us change was, one Christmas. We asked our Sister-in-law what her kids wanted for Christmas. She told us and we dutifully went out and bought exactly what we were told.

Well, Christmas we went to their house and gave the kids their presents. The nephew opened his gift and promptly threw it over his shoulder. So the present landed about 5 feet behind him. He didn't even want to open the package after he saw what it was. 

Honored Contributor

I have a hard time even understand a post like this.  I don't see a problem or an issue here.  If your husband wants to buy the kids gifts; let him go to the mall or wherever he chooses to shop and pick out gifts.  You won't enjoy it so there's no reason for you to go.  Personally, since you have already had some disappointments over gifts, I would give all the niece's and nephews money.  That way they can all buy whatever they want at the after Christmas sales.  Kids love that!   Yes, indeed.  There comes a time when older people just have no idea whatsover about what an 11 year old wants.  I remember than from when my girls were kids.  I'd lecture them about NOT showing their disappointment and pretending to love every gift that was lovingly given to them.  But many of those gifts were never used.  Just the wrong gift for the wrong kid.  It's true, kids get gifts all year long and not all 12 year olds are the same.  I think that is where some people go wrong with gifts.  You posts like that here "what should I buy a 12 year old boy?"  As if there is any answer to such a question.  Having said that, it should be all about what you want to give.  Your husband is a person, he should be part of what you both decide to give.  Or since money isn't an issue; he can buy and  give a gift and you can give money and that should work for the both of you.  

Esteemed Contributor

I take pride in choosing thoughtful Christmas gifts on a budget for everyone on my list.

I have men, women, young teens, young adults, couples, a baby and two dogs, so that about covers the gamut. Also bought 3 gifts for boys in need through my church and gym. 

This year I felt as if the choices were limited- same old, same old. Shopping was not so joyful. I could not even come up with suggestions for DS to gift me. I do not give gift cards. I have been told by more than one teen boy that they like to open a gift and look forward to seeing what I got them each year. I do sometimes give cash along with a small gift.

I completed my shopping (and returns) this morning. Time to finish wrapping, mail one parcel and bake the cookies. Waiting for the baby gift to arrive from Target, probably Monday. The set of 3 Lenox ornaments from the Q was just delivered. Nice deal: A216101- $15.00 and free shipping for 3. 

I did most of my shopping on line with no problems. Used rebate sites, as always. Just not exciting. Happy that it's over. Just have to pick up a case of wine for DS & DDIL. Easy. And lottery tickets for stocking stuffers. Will complete those tasks later today.

The most fun to gift are the dogs. My pup LOVES Christmas and insists on opening his goody box first. Hilarious. After ten year, he knows the drill on Christmas morning!

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I take pride in choosing thoughtful Christmas gifts on a budget for everyone on my list.

I have men, women, young teens, young adults, couples, a baby and two dogs, so that about covers the gamut. Also bought 3 gifts for boys in need through my church and gym. 

This year I felt as if the choices were limited- same old, same old. Shopping was not so joyful. I could not even come up with suggestions for DS to gift me. I do not give gift cards. I have been told by more than one teen boy that they like to open a gift and look forward to seeing what I got them each year. I do sometimes give cash along with a small gift.

I completed my shopping (and returns) this morning. Time to finish wrapping, mail one parcel and bake the cookies. Waiting for the baby gift to arrive from Target, probably Monday. The set of 3 Lenox ornaments from the Q was just delivered. Nice deal: A216101- $15.00 and free shipping for 3. 

I did most of my shopping on line with no problems. Used rebate sites, as always. Just not exciting. Happy that it's over. Just have to pick up a case of wine for DS & DDIL. Easy. And lottery tickets for stocking stuffers. Will complete those tasks later today.

The most fun to gift are the dogs. My pup LOVES Christmas and insists on opening his goody box first. Hilarious. After ten year, he knows the drill on Christmas morning!

@queendiva

This made me laugh.