Honored Contributor

Re: More about Christmas shopping

[ Edited ]

@Happcat01 and @cactusgirl Thanks. It was a long time ago and I never am ashamed at making a lovely gesture even when it's not appreciated. I honestly hadn't thought about it in years.

I hope you both and everyone here have a beautiful holiday too. ♥️♥️

Honored Contributor

We have stopped giving to our nieces and nephews and their children.

The parents have everything they could ever want or need and with the exception of one grand niece the others wouldn't know us if they fell over us.

I got tired asking year after year if they all got their gifts and was done.

The year I did stop, I had one niece ask if I had sent something because if I did, it didn't arrive.

Honored Contributor

Must say ,i am a bit shocked at some of these stories.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

On another note re presents- my daughter usually adopts a family for Christmas. The past few years, the things the kids ask for have been rather expensive. This year, she was in Walgreens and she said there was a different kind of Angel tree. It was for elderly folks. A company that does caregiving for them in their homes had put it out.

She got a few of those names, and told me it was the saddest thing. She said all they wanted was soft food, gloves, socks and scarfs and one wanted a blanket.

I think I'd be more in the Christmas spirit if I could find someone who NEEDED some help. Thats what I'm gonna do.

Thank you all for listening to me vent yesterday and sharing your personal experiences.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I stopped buying gifts for everyone and their brother many years ago.  I give money to my three children. My kids really like the cash. It is enough for them to splurge on something really nice.  Money and gifts for my theee grandchildren.  They send me their very detailed lists.

I also buy a few gifts for two elderly ladies who have no one else. I take them to the store and to their doctor appts and give money to them all year long.  They need financial help as, well as physical help.

On Christmas Day, I pass out plastic candy canes filled with Hershey Kisses or M&M's to all the kids..my grands and my grand nieces and nephews.  They always ask if I remembered to bring the candy, so I know they appreciate it.

Christmas is for kids.  I have no idea how the traditions of buying expensive gifts for adults came about, but I will not participate in any of it.  

My DH and I do not exchange gifts, nor do we expect gifts from others. We ask our kids not to buy us anything.

@Carmie That is a very nice post. What a nice thing you are doing for the elderly ladies.  And I love the plastic candy cane idea to the children.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat ....   I have three niece ages 21, 20 and 12.  It has gotten to the point where I have no idea what to give them.  I don't ask my SIL anymore because she always gives the good ideas to HER side of the family.  I've never had my nieces get existed over anything she recommended.  So I ask my nieces what they would like.  Sometimes I also give them cash.
Honored Contributor

You know, what strikes me is how many of us give out of obligation instead of from the heart. 

I'm guilty of it as well. At least, I used to be. I don't know what caused it to happen but something clicked and I made the decision to not do it....and not caring if it offended anyone. If someone chooses to give me or my family a gift AFTER I have told them we won't be exchanging with then....that's on them. In fact....it took a few "why thank you. I'm sure the office crew will enjoy this!" to get one family member to finally stop. Everyone else was secretly thrilled. 

Obligation vs heartfelt. Yep.

Respected Contributor

Since I have no family I enjoyed and found your posts interesting. I couldn't help but think of the Christmas Story and Ralphie and his brother tossing the socks.

Don't forget the bunny Pjs his Auntie gave him. I saw them for purchase  in our small Wal-Mart Super Center  on Friday  hanging on the edge of the Men's Clothing area. There you go. Hurry on down.

I understand since Queen Elizabeth of course would have everything  so their family gives Gag gifts. I recall her getting a funny shower cap last year. Maybe doing this in your families would be fun. My Aunt used to buy Savings Bonds for her Grandkids gifts years ago. Donating to Charity in their name is a thought.

Super Contributor

Through out the years we have changed our gifting ways, drastically.

We once bought for everyone and then one year we came home with loads of

stuff and I thought this is silly.

We changed the rule to nieces/nephs, only gifts to age 18. Once they hit that age they can opt in to the draw.  We all draw names, 1 gift, price limit. Everyone loves it. We have 1 gift to buy for the gathering, 1 gift to take home each. 

We stopping giving to our parents years ago and they stopped giving to us. We are full grown adults who all have everything we could ever want and if we don't have it we buy it.

Just draw names and give 1 gift!! It will ease the burden of the holiday. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

On another note re presents- my daughter usually adopts a family for Christmas. The past few years, the things the kids ask for have been rather expensive. This year, she was in Walgreens and she said there was a different kind of Angel tree. It was for elderly folks. A company that does caregiving for them in their homes had put it out.

She got a few of those names, and told me it was the saddest thing. She said all they wanted was soft food, gloves, socks and scarfs and one wanted a blanket.

I think I'd be more in the Christmas spirit if I could find someone who NEEDED some help. Thats what I'm gonna do.

Thank you all for listening to me vent yesterday and sharing your personal experiences.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

@happycat

This is sad. I am going to run into Walgreen after service this morning and see if I see something like this.