Respected Contributor

Re: More Jobs Leaving the USA

@MorningLover wrote:

Carrier announced it's decision to move at least 1,400 jobs

from Indianapolis to Mexico. So sad to see all these people

devastated and disappointed after hearing they are losing

their jobs. I won't be buying any of their products again. We

have to support American Made !

@MorningLover I was just thinking the same thing this morning.  Don't Buy Carrier products!  I live in Indiana and these people and the entire town will suffer because of this.  The company handled it soooo poorly when they announced it to their employees and they didn't even tell the City of their plans (which the Governor may have been able to help them stay in Indiana with tax cuts).  Please shut these companies down that are moving out of the country! 

Regular Contributor

Yeah, I don't know why Mexicans are coming here, when all our jobs are going there- what a shame!

Respected Contributor

This is kind of old news...it happened last week.  Yes, it's very unfortunate for both the workers and the company.  I would guess the company wishes they didn't have to do it, but to keep product prices competitive in order to survive as a company, they need to go where labor cost is cheap.  The current workers will definitely suffer.  The odds of finding new jobs near the same pay rate are probably slim.   Sad, indeed.

Respected Contributor

@nomless wrote:

This is kind of old news...it happened last week.  Yes, it's very unfortunate for both the workers and the company.  I would guess the company wishes they didn't have to do it, but to keep product prices competitive in order to survive as a company, they need to go where labor cost is cheap.  The current workers will definitely suffer.  The odds of finding new jobs near the same pay rate are probably slim.   Sad, indeed.

@nomless - the current employees are making around $25 an hour.  It's sad the company didn't give the city a chance to help them through tax credits in order to keep the company here.  The local businesses will suffer greatly because it's a small town and they depended on these employees - you're right, it's very sad.

Respected Contributor

I find all of the recent uproar about this and the oil prices rather humorous.  How many of these people that are losing jobs now and also complaining about "buying American" buy AMERICAN CARS???

My city and I have lived through this worse than any other city because of the auto industry, so although I do have the utmost sympathy and empathy for anyone who loses a job, not too many cared when it was Detroit...

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Respected Contributor

I have read no where they asked the worker to take a cut in pay in order to keep their jobs.  Many companies  have had to ask for this and workers responded and jobs were saved.  These products cost thousands to consumers. Its hard to believe that these wages really make that big of a difference in staying here.  Is it the taxes these companies have to pay in order to do business here, that would be gone if they move?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those who say boycott Carrier, are you boycotting all who move their jobs to Mexico?

The OREO thread last week made me think.

Mondelēz International moved oreo to Mexico shutting down the Chicago plant.

So, are your OREO's cheaper now that they moved?

The lay-offs — one of quite a few Mondelēz International has made within the past year — was inspired by “changing customer interests in pre-packaged foods, rising U.S. costs, and cheaper foreign labor costs”:

Mondelez expects to generate up to $46 million in annual savings by investing in four state-of-the-art production lines in its recently opened Salinas, Mexico, plant..

Honored Contributor

I think lots of aspects of cost are involved.  One is certainly wages - probably cut at least 40%;  benefits for workers, land and building costs and taxes and who knows what else.

Another factor which I just read about recently is that while many Americans talk about buying MIA, they really do not want to pay for the extra costs.  It's certainly not a dollar or two, even on items much cheaper than Carrier's. 

I have another comment here, too, but it's politically attached and I won't bother.  It would probrably mean the thread would die.

Honored Contributor

The fact of moving jobs to Mexico,just keeps happening,it is a terrible shame, this destroys towns, and peoples lives,what is wrong with our own people making a good wage? We as consumers have been ,and are a big part of the problem,look at walmart.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.