Regular Contributor

More Info On ALL The New Kindles (including the Fire)

This one is on the new dedicated ereader as well as the Fire tablets that were just announced.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6358911/amazon-new-kindle-fire-hdx-8-9-2014-price-announcement

In fact, all the new kindles are on the Amazon site now with all the specs.

Respected Contributor

Re: More Info On ALL The New Kindles (including the Fire)

These things are great. I did travel with the keyboard last trip I made but I found that the touch screen and predictive text are almost as fast. I never pulled out the keypad. I take my 7" Kindle instead of a laptop now and it's absolutely the best thing for travel there is. Books for long plane flights, you can download a video or two (if you can't stream over wifi) and the weight is minimal. I do my email etc. The only thing I find nearly useless is the camera. I've used it--and used the video but I prefer a "real" camera for good pictures.

Regular Contributor

I use a "real" camera, also and wonder if you can somehow hook it up to the Kindle to put your photos on it.

Respected Contributor

I've been watching for this. Thanks for posting.

Last year when the new HDX's came out I upgraded my 7"" but held off upgrading my 8.9"" inch one. I use one at home and one at work. I will probably upgrade the 8.9"" this time.

That one for kids with the two year warranty against breakage for any reason looks fantastic for people with smaller kids to buy for! Just in time for Christmas. Pretty colors too!

Regular Contributor

On 9/18/2014 travelin grandma said:

I use a "real" camera, also and wonder if you can somehow hook it up to the Kindle to put your photos on it.

Yes you can. You load the photos from your digital camera to your pc. Then connect the Kindle to the pc to download the photos to the Kindle.

Honored Contributor

They've been up on the Amazon home page since last night. No need to rely on alternative sources.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, Knmt ! I have been waiting for Amazon to come out with a new Fire. Like the 8.9

Honored Contributor

Thank you - SO glad there's still a dedicated ereader! I worry they'll stop making those in favor of tablets and I just don't enjoy reading on my tablet as much as I do on my Kindle ereader.

Regular Contributor

On 9/18/2014 yellowkitty said:

Thanks for the heads up, Knmt ! I have been waiting for Amazon to come out with a new Fire. Like the 8.9

I have the current 8.9 HDX and the video is absolutely stunning. Also like the rear AND front camera. Got it during a lightning deal on Amazon last month at a really good price. I use the Kindle dedicated e-readers for books.

Super Contributor

I'm disappointed. I lost my original 1st gen Kindle Fire on vacation and have been waiting for this announcement to get a replacement. I guess the 6 in. is the most comparable to what I had, but don't know if I want only a 6 in. screen. That's barely bigger than some cell phones these days! At the same time, I'm not willing to spend $379 on the 8.9in. HDX. I think I may end up getting the 7 or 8 in Samsung Galaxy Tab and downloading the Kindle App.