Respected Contributor

Re: More Bad Retail News... ☹️

@SahmIam wrote:

@Blingqueen023  There are a few malls in Maryland that have that problem, imho. I'm going to say Montgomery Mall is the one you're talking about. That said, going to Towson Town Centere after dark is a huge NOPE, not happening now.

@SahmIam I so agree with you.  I could name others also, and I'll give you an example, my daughter wanted to go to Columbia Mall one Saturday afternoon.  We were just about to leave and I happened to switch on one of the news shows and saw there was a shooter there.  Needless to say, we didn't go.  We just went out for some ice cream instead.  We didn't even go shopping.  

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Blingqueen023  There are a few malls in Maryland that have that problem, imho. I'm going to say Montgomery Mall is the one you're talking about. That said, going to Towson Town Centere after dark is a huge NOPE, not happening now.

@SahmIam I so agree with you.  I could name others also, and I'll give you an example, my daughter wanted to go to Columbia Mall one Saturday afternoon.  We were just about to leave and I happened to switch on one of the news shows and saw there was a shooter there.  Needless to say, we didn't go.  We just went out for some ice cream instead.  We didn't even go shopping.  

@Blingqueen023  If it's the one I'm thinking about (shot 2 people by the indoor carousel), my son and I were there. Being real honest.....it's a great mall and safe but come Friday night through Sunday closing? The clientele changes for the worse and we won't go there. I have friends who will not work nights on the weekends for that that reason.

Sad. But as others have said, it's everywhere. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Blingqueen023  If it's the one I'm thinking about (shot 2 people by the indoor carousel), my son and I were there. Being real honest.....it's a great mall and safe but come Friday night through Sunday closing? The clientele changes for the worse and we won't go there. I have friends who will not work nights on the weekends for that that reason.

Sad. But as others have said, it's everywhere. 

@SahmIam Oh, I love Columbia Mall.  They have stores there that you don't see at other malls.  In fact, they have everything there, lol  It's a beautiful mall.  Love the eatery there too.  In my opinion, I think the worst mall in the area out of all of them is Lake Forest Mall in Gaithersburg.  I won't go there with anybody or better yet alone.  That's a mall I definately avoid at all costs.  

@SahmIam Opps, forgot to say it is the mall where the two people got shot.  It was Columbia Mall.  Thank goodness you and your son wern't hurt.  That must have been a real scarey experence.  Glad you both made it out safely.  I would have been terrified. 

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 Lake Forest used to be an fantastic mall. So was Landover and White Flint (OMG WHITE FLINT!!) back in the day (so sad when it was bulldozed... same with Laurel). Georgetown is....WOW....beautiful. 

Tysons Corner I and II are the best but traffic prevents me from going there....nightmare for any driver, lol. 45 minutes to go 1.5 miles...NOT DOING IT!  Lol.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Blingqueen023 Lake Forest used to be an fantastic mall. So was Landover and White Flint (OMG WHITE FLINT!!) back in the day (so sad when it was bulldozed... same with Laurel). Georgetown is....WOW....beautiful. 

Tysons Corner I and II are the best but traffic prevents me from going there....nightmare for any driver, lol. 45 minutes to go 1.5 miles...NOT DOING IT!  Lol.

@SahmIam I was just thinking about Tyson's Corner myself.  I love that mall too, but I rarely go there because of the traffic.  It takes me about an hour from where I live to get there.  

I work in the medical building right next to White Flint Mall, and I'm happy to say I'm glad that Lord n Taylor won their court case against the owner of that mall.  He can't build a thing for a few years because Lord n Taylor owns their property.  Even though the mall is gone and the only store left is Lord n Taylor, they're doing a booming business there.  I've gotten some good sales from them.  To me that store has always been an Icon there for White Flint.  I hope it stays for a long time.  

Esteemed Contributor

Things come and go.  Sorry for those who will be displaced. 

The malls/businesses may close and then at another time re-open and start up again. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam I was just thinking about Tyson's Corner myself.  I love that mall too, but I rarely go there because of the traffic.  It takes me about an hour from where I live to get there.  

I work in the medical building right next to White Flint Mall, and I'm happy to say I'm glad that Lord n Taylor won their court case against the owner of that mall.  He can't build a thing for a few years because Lord n Taylor owns their property.  Even though the mall is gone and the only store left is Lord n Taylor, they're doing a booming business there.  I've gotten some good sales from them.  To me that store has always been an Icon there for White Flint.  I hope it stays for a long time.  

@Blingqueen023  I am too. What that developer did was disgusting; so shady. That was THE mall to shop at. I remember the Ladies Who Lunch with their little dogs and driver carrying their packages down Georgetown Alley shops and to the car waiting.  I remember pizza at "The Club" on the top floor. So many wonderful stores.

Do you remember when Owings Mills has Saks? When Macy's was on par with Nordstrom? When Owings Mills outshone Towson Town Centre? I do. Shopping was amazing growing up and in my 20's-mid 30's. 

I sincerely hope Lord and Taylor is able to keep that development at bay for a LONG time. I drove past the mall a few days before the wrecking ball hit... I took my eldest two there when they were babies...so sad to see the mall gone.

I know your area well, lol. Love the park down the road from the old mall. Kids LOVED the train there!

Trusted Contributor

@handygal2I love going to the mall. I rarely get to go but enjoy shopping and looking.

At least the two malls I shop at are going strong for now.

I do shop online too but I like touching what I'm buying.

Honored Contributor

There is a mall approximately 30 minutes from where I live that I go to often.  It has high end stores except for Macy's.  I am often there for Crate and Barrel or the Container Store.  Their anchor is Nordstrom.  I have never seen it full of teenagers.  I do most of my shopping online but I do enjoy going to the mall.  

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

According to this article, nearly 5,100 planned store closures in the U.S. have already been announced this year, and are projected to reach more than 8,600 by year-end. As a result, 20-25% of all malls and shopping centers (220-275) are expected to shut down over the next 5 years. This will have major ramifications.

Here's the link to the brief, informative article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-tsunami-of-store-closures-is-doubling-in-size-2017-6

It's a blessing some of these stores are closing, poorly stocked, poorly managed.   The Gander Mountain store near me will not close, it was on an original closing list, but then purchased by Camping World.  GM filed for bankruptcy.   This is just the ebb and flow of economics.   TJ Maxx and all the stores under that umbrella are doing very well, I have a new one about 4 miles from me.   Even with the sucess of Amazon, there will always be a place for retail.