Respected Contributor

Re: More Bad Retail News... ☹️

I've been to the mall once this year. And I only went to one store,

I try to shop at the local stores in my area.

I read that the malls with stores like Barneys and Nieman Marcus are doing better. 

Honored Contributor

@151949

I don't have a Walmart anywhere near me so it is an easy thing for me to say.  In fact I don't know where the nearest Walmart is.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne Consider yourself lucky, we have 4 Walmart's within 30 minutes of our house, go another 10-15 mintues and I can count 3 more.

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I will never shop at malls when there's online ordering to be done.  That way I won't get stabbed, robbed, and I won't have to see the rude idots on their cell phones walking, talking and not watching where the heck they're going.  Long live online ordering. 

I have yet to read about anyone being stabbed, robbed or harmed at any of the malls I frequent. In fact, there is a good deal of security where I shop. It is a whole lot safer to walk in the mall than some of the local parks. Even Central Park is not all that safe anymore....

However, to each their own. I respect your opinion.

You must not live in the Washington DC area.  I didn't make this up   Forgot to add a father that had his young son with him also shot a guy over a parking space at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD  That particular mall is in the Washington, DC area.  

Absolutely, i live on the VA side of the river and it is the same over here.  

Honored Contributor

Today just a simple shopping trip to the mall can end in a mass shooting.  Easier faster cheaper to shop on line.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I will never shop at malls when there's online ordering to be done.  That way I won't get stabbed, robbed, and I won't have to see the rude idots on their cell phones walking, talking and not watching where the heck they're going.  Long live online ordering. 

Where do you live? The South Side of Chicago?

When you learn how to read I'll answer your question.  If you would have tried to have read the threads I didn't keep my location a secret.  

Honored Contributor

If the powers that be who own and operate the retail industry would study and learn from their customers there wouldn't be as many closures. So many companies put money into opening new stores and saturating the market that creates losses for the existing stores.

Where I live stores are thriving because I live in a tourist area, there are so many jobs here that when the population swells the workers come from around the country and globe to work here. I believe the current starting wage is $12 an hour. 

As far as Wal-Mart goes there is only one on the Cape as well as one mall. (no super Wal-Mart) There are tons of boutiques, Mom and Pop and big box stores to go around. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

I have yet to read about anyone being stabbed, robbed or harmed at any of the malls I frequent. In fact, there is a good deal of security where I shop. It is a whole lot safer to walk in the mall than some of the local parks. Even Central Park is not all that safe anymore....

However, to each their own. I respect your opinion.

You must not live in the Washington DC area.  I didn't make this up   Forgot to add a father that had his young son with him also shot a guy over a parking space at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD  That particular mall is in the Washington, DC area.  

No, I don't live in the Washington DC area.

That's terrible, though, and I can understand your not necessarily wanting to shop in malls if they aren't safe.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Summer jobs for kids are bad enough now.  Keeps kids out of trouble, but soon they will have no place to go to work. 

Really? Where do you live?  There seems to be help wanted signs in most of the restaurants and grocery stores where I live in the South.  Kid DON'T want to do the jobs we did as teens.  They are spoiled.  Fast food still hires many teens.  Also, don't forget that Amazon hires a lot of young people in their fullfilment warehouses.  We have one in our area and we don't live in a big city.  Malls need to get it together and have better service, too. Went into a JC Penney the other day and the cashiers were rude and didn't care that I was standing there needing help. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never liked shopping at a mall, never.  I hate going through clothes and finding my size sold out or come across clothes that smell of body odor.  I don't like dressing rooms which are often soiled, one way or another.

You can't find help on a department floor easily anymore.  Parking is often a problem and lately there have been muggings and shootings in mall parking lots.

DH made a trip to a high end SF mall a couple of years ago, in and out in less than half an hour only to find his car was stolen.

No thanks.