Frequent Contributor

Re: Moon Landing - 50 years ago today - where were you?

I was almost 7 years old and I remember it like yesterday.  I was watching it at my aunt and uncles house that was down the street.  I was so excited about it that I eventually went on to become an electrical engineer and did look into becoming an astronaunt after I graduated from college.  Reality hit when I realized that I get severe motion sickness riding in a car in the back seat!  Now I'm an engineer that works building/maintaining fighter jets and space stuff.  I've watched almost every show they have had on cable relating to the 50th anniversary or the space program in general this summer.  I still love anything having to do with space.  I'd love to work at SpaceX or Bigelow but CA and FL are not places where I want to live.

Honored Contributor

I was at summer camp.... about 13 years old.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 

I remember pretty much that whole day and what I  was doing. I started the day at 6am at the Drag Strip racing my 2 different race cars, jumping from 1 to the other. That was not typical of most drag racers in those days of "unpaid drivers".

After spending the whole day in the sun at a treeless drag strip, we hit the bar for a few beers after done racing. That generally was around 6pm or so. Pretty exhausted at that point. Racing is not just "sitting and steering" a car.

Decided to go to a racing friend's house after I took my race cars home. Remember watching the landing with him/his wife, and several other visiting friends. Will never forget any part of that day for 2 reasons. Both of my race cars won their Class, and then to witness that unbelievable event. Geesh, I had just turned 30 that June!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee
It was me who said we watched it in our "den"😂
It amazes me that we were able to do that 50 years ago!
If you click on Google's icon, you can watch a cute little video about the moon landing narrated by Mike Collins.
Esteemed Contributor

I was 20 and remember it like it happened yesterday.  We were sitting on the floor right in front of the TV at my in-law's house.  We were all fascinated.  Later we went outside and stared at the moon.  We knew the astronauts were still walking around on it.   We knew we were watching history happen.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor

I was 11 days shy of my 6th birthday....I remember none of it!

Esteemed Contributor

I was driving back to Seattle from Whidbey Island and returned just in time to watch, though I think it was audio in real time and simulation of the event until they got the footage.

Respected Contributor

I was twenty four and living in an apartment in Santa Barbara.

Different times, no one locked doors or even bothered to shut them. I had a tv and all the neighbors came in and we stood around the tv. It was Amazing!

Honored Contributor

@bobby5 wrote:
@Pearlee
It was me who said we watched it in our "den"😂
It amazes me that we were able to do that 50 years ago!
If you click on Google's icon, you can watch a cute little video about the moon landing narrated by Mike Collins.

@bobby5   Thanks for reminding me!  I thought of you today too,when I passed a house for sale sign that featured "DEN" at the top of the sign, as an inducement to buy.  I loved our den in the house I grew up in; happy memories spent there, including watching the moon walk.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32Actually, I was at home intently watching the TV.  I was wondering why there was such a lack of "diversity" in what I was seeing.  Then I wondered why what I was seeing looked surreal.  I figured in reality it had to be stuff filmed on a soundstage in Hollywood.

This is what this country has descended to.  And it ain't pretty.