Esteemed Contributor

Re: Moon Landing - 50 years ago today - where were you?

We had been married four months; couldn't afford Woodstock! So we took our vacation to Green Lake, WI which was a gorgeous family summer home on a large, crystal blue, very deep, fresh water lake. We didn't ski for two days; watched the TV on the large screened-in porch in awe! Mom called to share the excitement of history in the making. We cheered the US setting foot on the moon after years of the space race between USA and Russia. The 1960's were filled with turmoil, political unrest, and an undeclared war. July 20, 1969  was a day of success, pride and happiness for all humanity! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

A kid watching bl/wh TV on the floor. I remember Walter Cronkite and my dad's intense expression as much as anything.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

A kid watching bl/wh TV on the floor. I remember Walter Cronkite and my dad's intense expression as much as anything.  

@jeanlake  Well I was watching on our color TV but the landing was in black and white, so it didn't matter.  Everyone saw the moon landing in black and white!

Honored Contributor

I just now remembered something about that night that I'd forgotten.  After watching the moon landing, I went outside and stared at the moon for a while, trying to comprehend that two Americans had just been walking on it!  It was truly astounding.  I stayed outside in the dark maybe 15 minutes looking at the moon, trying to comprehend what I'd just seen on TV.  

Trusted Contributor

I was 25 and a new bride of 11 months. Hubby and I watched with my grandmother on her black and white tv with rabbit ears. Now I’m an old bride of 51 years 😉. It was an exciting evening, but actually I remember the day Russia put that little Sputnik satellite into orbit as gaining more attention than the moon landing. I was in 7th grade at the time, and everyone was talking about Sputnik nonstop. And so the space race began.
Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:
I was 25 and a new bride of 11 months. Hubby and I watched with my grandmother on her black and white tv with rabbit ears. Now I’m an old bride of 51 years 😉. It was an exciting evening, but actually I remember the day Russia put that little Sputnik satellite into orbit as gaining more attention than the moon landing. I was in 7th grade at the time, and everyone was talking about Sputnik nonstop. And so the space race began.

I remember a lot of people back then naming their dogs Sputnik! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember it well, 1969 was a year full of numerous events never to be forgotten.  This one was so exciting, an achievement that I looked forward to and it created such joy and pleasure for me.  I was 27 years old, 6 months pregnant with my first child, happy as could be and staying down at Fenwick Island, Delaware in my in-laws beach trailer when these great men made history. I was there by myself and enjoying every minute of this exciting time.  I watched everything that was being televised and saw the Eagle land in late afternoon, watched Neil Armstrong came down those steps and put his foot on the moon.  Watching the videos again, it is just like it happened yesterday and it still brings tears and excitement.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT  The space program and moon landing by these magnificent men meant a great deal to me also, and I also shed some tears of excitement then and now!  Tremendous achievement in those days....

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

"...cheered the US setting foot on the moon after years of the space race between USA and Russia. The 1960's were filled with turmoil, political unrest, and an undeclared war. July 20, 1969  was a day of success, pride and happiness for all humanity! ..."

@BirkiLady  Oh yes, I remember it well--the 60's were filled with turmoil and indeed, 7/20/1969 was a day just swelling with pride.....

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I just now remembered something about that night that I'd forgotten.  After watching the moon landing, I went outside and stared at the moon for a while, trying to comprehend that two Americans had just been walking on it!  It was truly astounding.  I stayed outside in the dark maybe 15 minutes looking at the moon, trying to comprehend what I'd just seen on TV.  

@Pearlee  I did the same...it truly was awesome to look at the moon knowing those astronauts were walking on the surface of that beautiful moon and planting our flag for posterity!