Honored Contributor

Re: Moon Landing - 50 years ago today - where were you?

I was on summer vacation from school at our lake house.  My uncle and aunt were visiting and insisted I be there to watch the moon landing.  I was always out with friends but for some reason agreed to do so.  It was amazing and I was glued to the screen knowing what a historical moment it was.  I also have newspapers I saved about the moon landing and in fact just looked at them recently.

Honored Contributor

Not sure if it was the day or the next day, but my DH and I were going on a little vacation.  When we stopped at a restaurant  our food came with a little paper flag on the plate.  I will never forget that.

Honored Contributor

I was at home with my parents and watched it on TV.

Respected Contributor

I was watching by myself on a small portable TV in my bedroom.  I do believe the antenna had foil for great reception.

I was mad at my mom and dad at the time because they would not let me go with my friends to Woodstock.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

I was eight. I remember my parents gathering my sister and I to watch history in the making.  I thought it was evening.  We watched and were amazed.  Being eight, I think I wanted to be playing instead of watching.  

Honored Contributor

I was 22 , married ,and had 2 babies. I watched, but, I was bored. The space race has never held the slightest bit of interest for me

Honored Contributor

When this happened, I was staying with my folks at their house (+young son) while my husband was in Vietnam.

Esteemed Contributor

I was at home, watching the event on TV.  I was a young wife at the time.

My DH was at work, with a large amount of co-workers, closely monitoring Neil Armstrong’s “back pack,” his total life support system, during his moon walk.  He and so many spent years designing, developing, testing this piece of equipment that was Armstrong’s life support system, keeping him alive, while he walked on the moon’s surface.

Very few people can appreciate the total feat of engineering that made this experience possible.  Roughly 400,000, involved in the design and development of all aspects of bringing men to the moon and back.  Computers were in their infancy back then, and my DH loves to recount how much was accomplished with a slide rule.  The pride of accomplishment was celebrated around the world.  Truly amazing.  It was a light during a time of the civil rights struggle and the war in Vietnam.  The entire effort took roughly 8 years.  

My DH worked his way through college undergrad, then had a fellowship to grad school.  Hard to imagine nowadays, he was recruited on college campus.  It was his first job.  His parents were immigrants to America, and he learned the value of hard work from them.  Even at age 78, I have to constantly remind him to take it easy.  Watching shows this week on Apollo, both of us have cried with emotion.  

Respected Contributor

i was at a party with friends and we stopped everything to watch.

so many were inspired to follow engineering technological pursuits after this and we reaped the rewards in all kinds of ways from this national goal.  

so i am glad we are re-committing to space again - and looking forward to future discoveries. i hope our younger generation finds this a challenge to embrace.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was at home on my last summer vacation with my mother watching on TV.  But our minds weren’t totally focused on the moon landing because we were waiting for a call from the hospital that my sister’s first child had been born.