Respected Contributor

Re: Moms on phone ignoring child.

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom wrote:
It seems that individuals are very sensitive when it comes to their cell phones. Perhaps we see ourselves more clearly.

@Twins Mom 

I can only speak for myself, so I'll say I have a nodding acquaintance with my cell phone, not a love affair.

I do know that if I had a serious and painful sinus infection, after I picked up my prescription and took my medication, I'd be in bed with the shades drawn and not relating a "horrifying attack" by a two year old on my brightly-lit computer or tablet.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@bobby5 wrote:
But @cherry, disciplining children doesn't mean you don't love them. In fact, quite the opposite. Kids need & even want boundaries. It's a lot easier to be on your phone than to put it down, walk over to your child, pick him up, put him on your lap, and explain to him why throwing things inside is not an acceptable behavior.

@bobby5, you are so right. Hard for me to believe some of  the crazy things I read here. It is interesting seeing how they brag about their own children, when I see such a poster with no humility I know all I need to know about them.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN  if I were you I would quit while I was ahead

Esteemed Contributor

I did smile and say hello when he wandered over.  I didn't yell at him for Pete's sake, he is a little kid.  I handed him his toy and said Oh honey don't throw it  etc.  He threw it again. He and Mom were well dressed and he looked well cared for.

I've entertained other peoples kids in the restaurant and in the waiting room of an office more times than I can remember.  I would never be rude to a child. Ever.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do people ASSUME that when people are on their phones that they are on FB, twitter or whatever. These people could be checking in with their jobs,checking emails or whatever. Stop ASSUMING. Felix Unger  from the Odd Couple said it best.

Most women can multitask and can tell exactly what their kids are doing. Metal toy? Wow. 1950¨s. No matter what mood I´m in. I would have interacted with the boy. That´s just me

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@bobby5 wrote:
But @cherry, disciplining children doesn't mean you don't love them. In fact, quite the opposite. Kids need & even want boundaries. It's a lot easier to be on your phone than to put it down, walk over to your child, pick him up, put him on your lap, and explain to him why throwing things inside is not an acceptable behavior.

@bobby5, you are so right. Hard for me to believe some of  the crazy things I read here. It is interesting seeing how they brag about their own children, when I see such a poster with no humility I know all I ne ed to know about them.

@RetRN, is there any way to say something very positive about one's offspring without be labeled as a braggart? I ask this seriously.

FWIW, I'd rather hear the good things parents have to say about their or other children than constant ragging on parents or children.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Retired Legal Secretary

No need to explain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I am proud of my children, because they are kind, especially to small children who might need a bit of help, or a kind act. When you judge the measure of society ,how you treat the young ,and very old ,says a lot about what type of people you are

Honored Contributor

The child is 2.  He's not a serial killer already.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I didn't say a word about that @bobby5 . The fact of the matter is I see more nasty cracks bout kiddies and mothers around here, than many people have had hot dinners

It is terrible to show such animosities toward children. We get the whole magilla from people complaining because a child asks for help, when it was their job to help them, to posts that make me really wonder how people   can say, and do ,the type of thing they feel is perfectly fine ,in situations that are neither life threatening nor dangerous

I am not talking about juvenile delinquents, I am talking about children, just being children

@cherry   Gads.  I remember that one. 

The little boy in this story was about 2 years of age, according to the OP. 

I agree a little bit of compassion for this wee one would have been the route to take.

We don't know why the mom was on her phone, either.

I also agree that there are parents so engrossed with their phones that children are ignored.

However, a 2 year old is a 2 year old.  Taking a moment to talk to the wee one could have meant much to him; we just don't know how well he is taken care of or how much attention he never receives.

I always smile and give a little wave to children.  Some smile and wave back; some are just shy and look at me like "whaaaa???"  LOL

Are there lazy parents? Absolutely.  Are there kids who get out of control in public?

Absolutely.  Are there adults with no manners who are annoying?  Absolutely.

This little boy did no harm.  Speculating that he could have broken somebody's glasses or a window or whatever is just that..........speculation.

It happened, and now it's over with no harm done.

@Cakers3 

He was throwing a metal toy...so I guess if the toy hit her, she was supposed to ignore her injury and wave and smile...🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”