Trusted Contributor

Re: Moms on phone ignoring child.

@Anonymous032819

I think children should be seen & heard...just not seen throwing things inside.

Honored Contributor

No matter what's going on at the time I think mothers AND fathers need to pay attention to things like their children throwing metal toys. I've seen parents on their phones in large crowds and their child wanders off. One time recently I kept track of the child and told the parent where the child was once they looked up from their phone.

That doesn't mean I'm passing judgment or assuming anything. I've never had kids but you do have to make their safety a priority and make sure they're not possibly harming others. No?

One of the saddest things I've ever seen was a mother at a matinee holiday movie with her two well behaved children. She was literally staring at her phone the entire time-Facebook and texting non stop. I could see the screen, unfortunately. No regard for how that was bothering other paying customers either.

If it was anything that important why not just stay home? Two hours of that is an addiction, sorry. She never once interacted with her kids, that's no exaggeration. It did make me grateful for all the time I spent with my Mom as a kid pre cell phones.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2: This is probably my pet peeve number two; number one is that distracted person behind the wheel of a car. Our children are and should be our most important gifts in our lives and should be treasured as such.  Yes, I believe you have every right to look out for yourself regardless of the situation even if that includes handling irresponsible parenting. 

I speak up if no one else does.

I live in Texas and sadly right now I believe there are folks realizing they might have missed a chance to speak up but didn’t.  Now, we’re writing eulogys and that is the last time we’ll be able to speak up.

Respected Contributor

It seems that individuals are very sensitive when it comes to their cell phones. Perhaps we see ourselves more clearly.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I didn't say a word about that @bobby5 . The fact of the matter is I see more nasty cracks bout kiddies and mothers around here, than many people have had hot dinners

It is terrible to show such animosities toward children. We get the whole magilla from people complaining because a child asks for help, when it was their job to help them, to posts that make me really wonder how people   can say, and do ,the type of thing they feel is perfectly fine ,in situations that are neither life threatening nor dangerous

I am not talking about juvenile delinquents, I am talking about children, just being children

@cherry   Gads.  I remember that one. 

The little boy in this story was about 2 years of age, according to the OP. 

I agree a little bit of compassion for this wee one would have been the route to take.

We don't know why the mom was on her phone, either.

I also agree that there are parents so engrossed with their phones that children are ignored.

However, a 2 year old is a 2 year old.  Taking a moment to talk to the wee one could have meant much to him; we just don't know how well he is taken care of or how much attention he never receives.

I always smile and give a little wave to children.  Some smile and wave back; some are just shy and look at me like "whaaaa???"  LOL

Are there lazy parents? Absolutely.  Are there kids who get out of control in public?

Absolutely.  Are there adults with no manners who are annoying?  Absolutely.

This little boy did no harm.  Speculating that he could have broken somebody's glasses or a window or whatever is just that..........speculation.

It happened, and now it's over with no harm done.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I understand the poster’s frustration about parents not controlling their kids, but we don’t know the situation or the mom. Perhaps because I don't have kids,I try to avoid mom-shaming. Who knows what may have been going on in her life that day?

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Not your circus, not your monkeys, not your business. People need to take care of themselves and their own business, not anyone else's. But then again, it makes some people feel superior and better about themselves to put down others without a clue as to what is going on with them and simply forming generalizations.

@reiki604 

What if the parents AREN'T taking care of their children, and their child is doing something that impacts others and someone could get injured it becomes EVERYONE'S PROBLEM because parents aren't accepting REPSONSIBLITY!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@bobby5  before you decide people are haters ,I suggest you observe the lay of the land around here

I see children constantly picked at, and on ,frequently here. 

And most of the ones who do have never raised children.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

It's been my experience there is no talking to a two year old, only distracting them to keep them safe. I don't think anyone is blaming the 2 year old for throwing a toy at the window, the mother needed to have her child under control for his own safety. It's the mothers responsibility to make her child a priority no matter what kind of day she was having. The poster said the mom was busy on her phone, enough said.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@bobby5  before you decide people are haters ,I suggest you observe the lay of the land around here

I see children constantly picked at, and on ,frequently here. 

And most of the ones who do have never raised children.

And you have those who hate all kids, no matter how well behaved they are.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.