Honored Contributor

Re: Moms on phone ignoring child.

if the kid was two years old and he had a matchbox car that is another issue......they are for ages 3 and up. Smiley WinkSmiley Tongue

there is a reason why they are called "terrible twos." you teach them and they dont always learn. you tell them and they dont always listen. you admonish them and they laugh or cry hysterically. the bottom line is is that we dont know what the mother was doing at the time on her phone. the receptionist took care of the situation and it was over. how far or hard can a 2 year old throw something? i was stern but didnt always discipline my children while we were out because sometimes it had a horrible effect. the mother chose not to once the receptionist took care of the situation and spoke with the mother. the mother may have taken the boy home and put him in a time out or took away his toys. i am not ready to condemn the mother or the child, especially since it all turned out okay at the end.

lets face it.......there are definitely no perfect children and there are definitely no perfect parents.....no matter how much we want to be. yes, we make mistakes at times. i have 20 something children and i am STILL in the learning process.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

if the kid was two years old and he had a matchbox car that is another issue......they are for ages 3 and up. Smiley WinkSmiley Tongue

there is a reason why they are called "terrible twos." you teach them and they dont always learn. you tell them and they dont always listen. you admonish them and they laugh or cry hysterically. the bottom line is is that we dont know what the mother was doing at the time on her phone. the receptionist took care of the situation and it was over. how far or hard can a 2 year old throw something? i was stern but didnt always discipline my children while we were out because sometimes it had a horrible effect. the mother chose not to once the receptionist took care of the situation and spoke with the mother. the mother may have taken the boy home and put him in a time out or took away his toys. i am not ready to condemn the mother or the child, especially since it all turned out okay at the end.

lets face it.......there are definitely no perfect children and there are definitely no perfect parents.....no matter how much we want to be. yes, we make mistakes at times. i have 20 something children and i am STILL in the learning process.

@sunshine45 

I don't know about that.

To hear some of the posters here, they were the perfect parent, and their kids were, and are perfect.

They never acted up.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I had to run to Dr. first thing this am due to a ripping sinus infection I developed over the weekend.  I abhor going to the Dr. in the first place and I felt horrible to boot.

There was a woman I guess late 20's and she had the cutest little boy about 2 or so with her.  Only us and 1 other man in the waiting room.  I went to the far end of the room and picked up a magazine.  The little boy came over and I said hello.  He had a little metal toy and he winged it in my direction. I guess he's version of catch. I picked it up and handed it back and said Oh, honey, don't throw it you might hit someone or hit the window.  There is a wall of windows behind where I was.  Yeah, that didn't work.  I looked at Mom and her nose was in her phone. The receptionist was watching this.  She and I have known each other for years and we gave each other the look. He did it again and it hit the window. Mom looked up and said Mason don't do that and back to the phone

The receptionist came out and called the Mom by name and said Mason needed to stop throwing this toy.

Yes, I could have said something but I didn't feel good and I knew whatever I said was not going to be pleasant. Best to keep my trap shut. What I really wanted was to grab that blessed phone and throw it in the parking lot.

I never let my kids bother other people when we went somewhere. I feel bad for the little guy.  Mom probably pays more attention to her phone than to him.

IT A with you. People today don,t pay attention to what is around them she. Walking or kids.  Have seen this time and again. Maybe she was on the phone for something urgent, but most of the time they ignore their kids because texting is more IMPORTANT.

I can't help but laugh when we start with the "People today" or the "Kids today" stuff.

ITA.  Still waiting for "Kids today are so spoiled, no idea how good they have it.   When I was a kid I walked 5 miles each way to school everyday...with no shoes...in the snow".

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@bobby5 wrote:
But @cherry, disciplining children doesn't mean you don't love them. In fact, quite the opposite. Kids need & even want boundaries. It's a lot easier to be on your phone than to put it down, walk over to your child, pick him up, put him on your lap, and explain to him why throwing things inside is not an acceptable behavior.

@bobby5, you are so right. Hard for me to believe some of  the crazy things I read here. It is interesting seeing how they brag about their own children, when I see such a poster with no humility I know all I need to know about them.

@RetRN  @bobby5 

It's the sad state of today's world--everyone makes  excuses and few people accept responsibility anymore for themselves or their childrens actions ....."responsibility" should be stricken from the dictionary...

@Spurt   I don't believe anybody is making excuses.  You are making all kinds of suppostions that didn't happen and will never be proven.

Nobody is saying children should run around unsupervised.  Yet sometimes a TWO-YEAR OLD may just slip by and throw a toy.

You might think he was out to maim and kill already.

You have a very negative perception of people and the "state of today's world" and assume the worst.

@Cakers3 

So I guess you never heard the saying:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A little precaution before a crisis occurs is preferable to a lot of fixing up afterward. (See also A stitch in time saves nine.)

@Spurt   You "stitch in time" to save clothing.  We are not talking about sewing here.

It doesn't matter if the mom was on the phone or not.  It takes absolutely seconds for a child to throw a toy or get up out of line or whatever.

We can be the best parents in the world and "stuff" can still happen.  So unless you know this mom personally, your suppositions are still nonsense.

End of the line. 

It happens.  HE IS TWO,  NOT THIRTY.

@Cakers3 

And your tag line says a lot about your perception of people:

" Don't back down yet. It'll get brighter. Stand your ground like a veteran fighter." -Joe Pug

@Spurt   OMG do you even KNOW Joe Pug and his song????  It has nothing to do with this thread and my "perception" of  people.

ROTFLMFBO!!

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Here ya go-let the bone go already.  LMAO

Image result for dog with bone gif

@Cakers3 

I dont know who or what it is....but those words fit you to a "T"

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I never claimed to be a perfect parent or was my son perfect.  When he was young he wasn't allowed to run all over, seriously he was told to stay put, he did and of course squirmed about.  

There were situations where he could play and run but in a public place, nope.  Last thing I wanted was for him to bother anyone as I didn't know their situations.. thank goodness for an umbrella stroller..  

Sorry if I gave anyone the idea he was a perfect child and I a perfect parent.  We were far from it.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@RetRN  if I were you I would quit while I was ahead

Harass, bully, taunt, try to intimidate me all you want, even though it is a no-no. I'm an adult and can tolerate disrespectful and immature behaviors, but I hope you don't also enjoy doing it to children. 

Valued Contributor

I saw this alot when I worked in retail.  Mothers coming in with their children and being totally oblivious and allowing them to run around the store.  Our store manager was so tired of witnessing these incidents and she was not shy about telling you to control your kids.  One particular event I witnessed firsthand was a mother who had two kids with her.  As the mother walked around the store, the one boy walked around slamming bags of candy with his fists that were situated on the lower shelf.  He was so loud in doing it too and I was shocked how the mother pretended like it wasnt' happening.  Not only did he manage to break open many bags of our fine chocolate, but squished alot of product as well.  Our manager walked over and reprimaned the kid and the mother.  All that food was destroyed and could not be sold.  We had to take all the destroyed candy off the shelves and damage them out and send them back to our corporate office. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Let's get back on track here. We are discussing a mother who is gabbing on a cell phone, rather then watching her child. We are not comparing our children, so lets get back to the point put your phone down, and watch your child the receptionist is not paid enough to do that!

Honored Contributor

@manny2 

as far as we know she was not "gabbing" and we dont know how serious whatever she was doing on that phone was. the child was stopped. the mother should not be raked over the coals for being distracted for a short period of time. as always, we dont know the entire story. that is my opinion.....and again, we parents are not all perfect in every situation.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@BeautyLver, enjoy. It's so much better than just the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCXr_6wgns

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland