Regular Contributor

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

[ Edited ]

mistake? 4 women and not one noticed the child was left in a cart.  Im sure they said goodbye to other and not one said where is baby?????? Love to hear the dad's response when he found out.

Honored Contributor

I think she needs to be investigated. How do that many people forget a baby?  Was there drinking involved ,perhaps?

Respected Contributor

Wait a minute, someone had to move the cart away from the car...how can you not see a kid that size? Oh well she doesn't need an excuse, plenty of people will come up with one for her. Yes, I'm judging & pray someone in charge will too.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51

@kitcat51 wrote:

Wait a minute, someone had to move the cart away from the car...how can you not see a kid that size? Oh well she doesn't need an excuse, plenty of people will come up with one for her. Yes, I'm judging & pray someone in charge will too.

This is what I was wondering too but then I thought sbout all of the people who don’t bother to return carts...too busy?

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t understand how anyone can forget their child,period.When my son was little I never ever left him unattended in a car for even a minute.I certainly never forgot him in a shopping cart either!! 

No matter how busy or preoccupied I was, my child was always front & center number one on my mind.Your child is your responsibility,period.

That being said everyone in that group has a screw loose for not noticing the missing child.

Super Contributor

Although I understand the safety aspect The rear facing car seat does not help because you can not see the child 

Honored Contributor

mistakes happen, this to me was a horrible mistake. 

when you have your brain on a million errands, lists of items needed at target to get,get together with friends, other errands that needed to be run for the day. You can get lost in the fog of thought. 

My dad forgot my sister once at school one year. He went over to a friends house and just got to gabbing. he finally remembered her at 9pm, she was waiting on the steps of the school. This was back in late 50's early 60's. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe if she had the decency to put the cart away, in the cart corral, this wouldn't happen.   Somebody said it was a basket, but I think this case the child was left in the shopping cart.

But, seriously, never having had kids I probably don't understand at all how one can forget their kid/baby in a case like this or the ones in summer when they leave the kid in the hot car.

I think a lot of folks just don't stop and think.  My husband is like this.  Fortunately, no small child, but he forgets pretty much everything else because he doesn't take the half a freaking second it takes to assess that you have everything you're supposed to have when you exit the car/store, etc. 

I guess the good thing is that she probably will never, EVER do this again.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This is how toddlers drown..Everyone thinks that “someone else” is watching the baby, when in fact, no one is..Often my daughter in law puts the kids in the rear facing car seats while my son is driving...I can’t imagine that I would ever drive off and leave a kid, BUT , when you think someone else has put them in a back seat, rear facing car seat, you might think they were in there asleep.. You might.

I once ( when I was executor of my parents estate) drove out of the supermarket and left my purse in the cart in the parking lot...I didn’t realize it till I got home..At that time, I had bank books linked to savings accounts with hundreds of thousands of dollars, my ID, checkbooks credit cards, everything..I had just come from the lawyers office...I was horrified, and so stressed, and crazily overwrought, having just lost BOTH my parents...Sobbing, I drove back to the store, and, Lo and behold, there sat my purse, still in the cart where I had left it...

There was a lady, my angel, sitting in a parked car across from that cart, watching it...I think she was protecting it till I got there for it...How no one stole it was a miracle...

Hopefully, this mother just made a mistake, an oversight and will learn from it..If this is one instance in a pattern of bad behavior, well, then that is different...

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker You are SO right on! This is exactly how kids drown. I was at a pool party where one of the guests walked into the house to use the bathroom without letting anyone know she would be gone. When she came back, she started screaming that her little girl was at the bottom of the pool. One of the guests dove in and got her. The child was ok, but shaken. There must have been 30 adults there and 15 kids. Everyone was watching their own. The little girl who was drowing didn't make a sound.

Now, when I'm around kids in the water, I'm constantly counting heads.